The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Is this a good deal??? for a Dutch Warmblood MARE? HELP!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/good-deal-dutch-warmblood-mare-help-9241/)

bowtiegoddess 05-22-2008 11:50 PM

Is this a good deal??? for a Dutch Warmblood MARE? HELP!!!

here is the info...... and pictures I offered her $15,000 is this a good price for her??

Dutch Warmblood
Thoroughbred

Ava is the most gorgeous hard-working horse out there! Will jump anything, been in training her whole life, flying lead changes, walk, trot, canter this girl can do all of this flawlessly and with any rider. Beautiful conformation, gorgeous flawless movements. In-Hand winner as a 2yr old! Ready for her baby greens now! She'll win anyone blue ribbons in any event: Hunt, Eq, Jumpers! Amzing potential, can already jump the 4'+ with ease and grace. Schooling 4'6"-4'9" at home. Sire is Just the Best, out of Best of Luck. ISP Award for Premium Filly 2003, score of 8.0! Wow! Almost 6 months old then! Has the power, scope, and speed for the international jumper! Will take anyone as far as they want to go in their riding career! This girl really has it all: Talent, Personality, and Brains! Priced to sell, negotiable to good home. She is a once-in-a lifetime horse, will take any rider to the Grand Prix and leave as Champion!

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/3959_IMG_0577_2_1.jpg

JustDressageIt 05-23-2008 12:15 AM

How old is she? How tall is she? What is her pedigree? Without knowing these things, it's pretty hard to give an accurate price estimation.
If she's young and jumping that high, it's not good. If she's young and is doing flying changes, jumping, etc, that's not good either; a young horse can only take so much, and then they burn out.
"Been working her whole life" - this scares me. A horse needs time to just be a horse!
That is a terrible picture. It doesn't show off her tuck or anything - it just shows that the rider got left behind and isn't letting the mare use her head and neck to jump. I don't know why they'd use this picture as a sale ad picture... other than the fact that she's shiney? Maybe she's a handful and they have to hold her back?
In all honesty, Grand Prix horses don't sell for $15,000... if she's really a GP prospect, her price tag would be much higher.
She's flashy, sure, she's shiney as well... but the ad and the picture aren't impressing me. Maybe if you could get the owner to send you a conformation picture (squared up, no saddle) I could give you a better critique, this is just my initial reaction from this picture and ad...

bowtiegoddess 05-23-2008 12:30 AM

she is 5 years old.. here is her pedigree..... and picture up closehttp://www.horseforum.com/userpix/3959_100_0716_1.jpg

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/3959_Annie2_2_1.jpg

Sire: Just the Best WPN Best of Luck WPN Lucky Boy Compromise
Sejane
Ilonka WPN Koridon
Charmante WPN
Timely Persuasion Close Watch Young Emperor
Demree
Orohena Furyvan
Lady Somerset
Dam: Apotheka Del Erin Erins Isle Busted
Chemise
Honey Island Lt. Stevens
Avalanche Lily
Every Sundae Honest Pleasure What a Pleasure
Tularia
Chocolate Only Nodouble
Vanilla

bowtiegoddess 05-23-2008 12:42 AM

and she is 17.1 hands tall

Equina 05-23-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
If she's young and jumping that high, it's not good. If she's young and is doing flying changes, jumping, etc, that's not good either; a young horse can only take so much, and then they burn out.
"Been working her whole life" - this scares me.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. Especially at only 5 years old. She could have joint/tendon issues later in life because it sounds like they started jumping her very early.

If you want a horse to work with and show for a couple years and then (hopefully) sell at a profit, she might be good. She's quite the looker and it sounds like she has some bragging rights as a 2 year old. Anything long term though...I'd probably keep shopping.

bowtiegoddess 05-23-2008 02:25 AM

she said this about the horse... i asked about the joint thing like you guys mentioned

Nope she hasn't been jumping that long I had a vet check she passed

she's been on a joint supplement her whole life
And good nutrition all adds up

and she says her vet checked out her joints and said she wont have any problems like that.. she was also never raced

Stepher 05-23-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

she said this about the horse... i asked about the joint thing like you guys mentioned

Nope she hasn't been jumping that long I had a vet check she passed

she's been on a joint supplement her whole life
And good nutrition all adds up

and she says her vet checked out her joints and said she wont have any problems like that.. she was also never raced
Why has she been on joint supplements her whole life? Are they expecting her to have problems? Sure her vet says shes fine... but what if your vet checks her, will they say something different? And of course she was never raced, shes half warmblood!!
I would say pass, the ad is sketchy and the owner sounds like a flake.

upnover 05-23-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stepher
Why has she been on joint supplements her whole life? Are they expecting her to have problems?

Actually, it's somewhat common to give joint supplements for maintenance to avoid joint issues later on, especially on the larger or performance horses more prone to them. Getting your own prepurchase exam with xrays should help clarify things a lot of soundness issues.

I'd be more concerned about how quickly they've begun jumping her at 4"6-4"9! Why in the world is she schooling that high when she's just now "ready" for the baby greens... which are 2'6! (also means she's never been shown over fences) My biggest concern is, what is her mental status now? I've seen a lot of horses that have been jumped too high too soon lose their confidence and need to be "restarted" over fences. She might be just fine. And if you buy her and keep her over the smaller stuff she might be a steal. It's hard to evaluate a price as a hunter without seeing her move. A 5 y/o baby green with a lead change usually will start at about $15,000 if it's a decent mover (more if it's a hack winner). With one that has the potential for hte upper level jumpers, $15,000 is a little low. There's a reason she's priced that low. Also question what "lead change" means. I've found that's the most vague description in the book. :) It can mean anything from an auto change to "we've gotten them once or twice".

Amanda7289 05-23-2008 12:45 PM

I just found her dreamhorse ad and they're asking $40,000!!

http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...rse_id=1187628

Amanda7289 05-23-2008 12:47 PM

And here are videos of her.
http://www.youtube.com/user/LPHorses