The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Draw rein help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/draw-rein-help-92433/)

slowlopin 07-19-2011 11:43 PM

Draw rein help?

Okay so I loooove riding in draw reins but I haven't used them in a while. If I remember correctly they go through the bit and hook to the girth? I know they hook to the girth lol ahaha I feel so dumb to ask but could someone remind me? Or does any maybe have a video or picture of them tacked up? Not the english ones! lol thank you so much!:D

JustDressageIt 07-19-2011 11:45 PM

Please work with a trainer if you must use them - I do not want to offer advice over the internet in regards to draw reins; I strongly suggest having someone who knows their stuff right there with you who can correct you right away.
May I ask why you feel the need for them?

slowlopin 07-20-2011 10:28 AM

ahaha ok? Im not stupid to them I have used them a million times I was just asking to have someone confirm it so I don't have doubts lol I will just go ahead and tack it up! Thanks anyway

Equilove 07-20-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowlopin (Post 1104277)
ahaha ok? Im not stupid to them I have used them a million times I was just asking to have someone confirm it so I don't have doubts lol I will just go ahead and tack it up! Thanks anyway

I must say if you wanted to know something so simple and didn't want anything but "to know where they clipped" you could just google a picture :roll: Don't come to a forum where respectable trainers and horsemen offer advice *for free* and ask such a silly question, then laugh at someone for giving you a very serious suggestion. If you can't put them on, you can't use them... you could really damage your horse if you don't use them properly. YOU might think you're not "stupid" to them but if you've never been TAUGHT to use them PROPERLY, you very well COULD be stupid to them...

JustDressageIt 07-20-2011 11:18 AM

There was a thread very recently from a young girl who was reared over on and got a concussion because she was using equipment (side or draw reins, it wasn't clear) improperly. I refuse to potentially be a part of maybe getting someone hurt because they misunderstood my typing.
I know how to use draw reins (though I don't prefer them) and I was taught by a professional who was right there to show nehow and correct me immediately.
Draw reins, if used improperly, can make a horse react adversely as it is a strange sensation to them. I would prefer it if a trainer was there to help you and make sure you are doing things properly.
Again, may I ask why you feel the need to use them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Spyder 07-20-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowlopin (Post 1103832)
Okay so I loooove riding in draw reins but I haven't used them in a while. If I remember correctly they go through the bit and hook to the girth? I know they hook to the girth lol ahaha I feel so dumb to ask but could someone remind me? Or does any maybe have a video or picture of them tacked up? Not the english ones! lol thank you so much!:D

Same question as JDI...just WHY do you think you need them, because if it is because the horse does not work well without them then maybe professional lessons to correct the obvious training problems would be the better way to go.

ErikaLynn 07-20-2011 11:37 AM

Hoof Prints On The Heart: Is Using Draw Reins a Good Technique?

Draw reins and running reins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Equestrian Life - Videos: Western Style Bridles and Bits: Draw Reins

Guess where I got all these links?...Google!

Mickey4793 07-20-2011 11:37 AM

Do you need them?

I know how to use them, but just like JDI posted I don't want to give information that could get misinterpreted. I personally used to use them once a week for a month with my guy because the chiropractor said he had an incredibly weak back and they helped him engage his hind end a bit more and keep his head down. The rest of the week I engaged in other activities that engaged his hind end such as hills, poles, etc.

Please tell me you aren't just using them for aesthetics ):

Aviara 07-20-2011 08:16 PM

I agree with what everyone has posted here. I hope you take the time to listen to people on this forum - a lot of them come from much experience working around horses of all sorts and with all types of issues.
I don't entirely understand your comment. "I love riding in draw reins." Draw reins aren't really something that is there for the rider's convenience or to make the horse easier for you. In rare situations, draw reins are useful in corrections of problems, however in most cases they can only escalate them. Sure, you can force a horse down into a "pretty" false headset with them, but the horse is not collected from this, and you are only teaching the horse to move without rounding its back and engaging its hindquarters, as well as numbing its mouth. That is no good.
It worries me that you are so set on using draw reins, yet you do not even know exactly how to fit them to your horse. I agree that you should seek out a more experienced trainer/instructor to help you...I am sure that whatever problem you are trying to solve with draw reins, they could help you solve much easier and most likely without the use of these devices.
If you are unsure of the mechanics of the equipment you are using, especially to the extent that you do not even know how to attach them to your horse, you probably do not have the experience to use them correctly or to do any good with them. I mean no offense.

slowlopin 07-20-2011 08:20 PM

everyone can chill I know what I am doing and had a fantastic ride with draw reins! Yes draw reins! :D I know how to school and teach a horse I have been doing this forever! :D Some of you were SUPER helpful others not so much! :D