The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What do you think, is she worth $2,000? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-do-you-think-she-worth-92434/)

JLynn 07-19-2011 11:47 PM

What do you think, is she worth $2,000?

Hi all. To reiterate some info on Flash: she's a 24 yo Strawberry Roan Appaloosa with a white blanket. She's registered, former show horse with points (don't know which type of show--never thought to ask before now, maybe dressage?), was a 4-H, lesson, and trail riding/pleasure riding horse. She has the sweetest temperament, mentally sound, still has more "go" than "whoa", accepts grooming without a problem...even the tail, is good for the ferrier, is not food aggressive, and an all-around easy keep. Even though she wasn't used for the past two years, pretty much being left to herself, she didn't lose any of her manners or sweetness. When she was introduced into the herd she's presently in, she quickly became the matriarch with only one minor hissy-fit from one of the other mares, even though she was put in the paddock and had each horse brought in one right after the other. I was told that the integration would happen over the course of at least a couple of weeks, but once the horse was there, the barn owner decided to do it the way I described, all taking place in the course of less than half an hour. I said all of that to attest to her temperament (which, I'm hoping, depicts a good thing.) Negatives: because she wasn't used for that 2-year span, she is pretty herdbound. Although she doesn't give me a hard time when I take her out on rides, she is in more of a hurry on the way back to the barn. She also has arthritis in one front knee. Being as green as I am, I didn't even notice it and it wasn't disclosed at the time I took possession. The ferrier pointed it out the first time she saw her. I have been allowed to purchase her with the sale price being set at a firm $2,000. In the 4 months that I've had her, she's already become a part of me and the cost is irrelevant. That being said, I am curious to know what you think. Is $2,000 a fair price or a tad on the high side? BTW, I live in Western New York (Buffalo/Rochester area)...if that makes a difference.

JustDressageIt 07-19-2011 11:52 PM

It depends.
For me, $2000 for a 24 year old with arthritis is asking too much. However, there is a lot to be said for a rock-solid, been-there, done-that, broke-to-death horse, some are most definitely worth their weight in gold.

dudey 07-20-2011 08:40 AM

unofrtunally sorry i wouldnt pay no more then 1.3k

Alwaysbehind 07-20-2011 08:47 AM

Being in the same part of the world as you I would say that this price is high. I believe I actually know the horse you are talking about. (Was advertised on CL, right?)

Have you already purchased this horse?
What are you long term goals for the horse and you?

WhoaNow 07-20-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLynn (Post 1103839)
Hi all. To reiterate some info on Flash: she's a 24 yo Strawberry Roan Appaloosa with a white blanket.
She's registered, former show horse with points (don't know which type of show--never thought to ask before now, maybe dressage?),
was a 4-H, lesson, and trail riding/pleasure riding horse.
She has the sweetest temperament, mentally sound, still has more "go" than "whoa", accepts grooming without a problem...even the tail,
is good for the ferrier, is not food aggressive, and an all-around easy keep.
Even though she wasn't used for the past two years, pretty much being left to herself,
she didn't lose any of her manners or sweetness.
When she was introduced into the herd she's presently in, she quickly became the matriarch
with only one minor hissy-fit from one of the other mares, even though she was put in the paddock and had each horse brought in
one right after the other.
I was told that the integration would happen over the course of at least a couple of weeks,
but once the horse was there, the barn owner decided to do it the way
I described, all taking place in the course of less than half an hour.
I said all of that to attest to her temperament (which, I'm hoping, depicts a good thing.)
Negatives: because she wasn't used for that 2-year span, she is pretty herdbound.
Although she doesn't give me a hard time when I take her out on rides, she is in more of a hurry on the way back to the barn.
She also has arthritis in one front knee. Being as green as I am,
I didn't even notice it and it wasn't disclosed at the time I took possession.
The ferrier pointed it out the first time she saw her.
I have been allowed to purchase her with the sale price being set at a firm $2,000.
In the 4 months that I've had her, she's already become a part of me and the cost is irrelevant.
That being said, I am curious to know what you think.
Is $2,000 a fair price or a tad on the high side? BTW, I live in Western New York (Buffalo/Rochester area)...if that makes a difference.

My opinion,..., $2000 was too high.
I would have preferred to hear that they gave you the horse.
You'll be the person who she ends her riding career with, and you will pay for her 'retirement':wink:.
I LOVE the older horses, I've got a 29 yr old, that I've had since he was 10.
He gets everything I can afford to give to him, supplements, high $ senior feeds, the whole 'nine yards'.
He EARNED it!!:wink:
But he stopped being really rideable about 3 years ago.
Now he has a new 'room mate' who is my riding horse.

From your description, I know this horse has completely 'won you over' with her wonderful 'older' personality.
That experience is PRICELESS.

Enjoy your girl!:wink:

gigem88 07-20-2011 11:03 AM

I wouldn't pay that much for her, but that's just me!

pintophile 07-20-2011 12:21 PM

In my opinion, it's just a little too much. I wouldn't pay over $1500 for her, and even that's a stretch. I'd say she's worth about $1000 in my area, probably less.

Zimpatico 07-20-2011 12:26 PM

Is she worth that much to you?

Last year, I bought a 21 year old Hanoverian gelding and paid a lot more than Flash's price. Most people thought I was crazy. But, I had been leasing him while shopping for another horse. No other horse on the market could compare to my boy. He's bombproof, talented, and has the personality that dreams are made of. He's totally priceless to me, so his purchase price is completely insignificant compared to the blessing of having him as my own...

MHFoundation Quarters 07-20-2011 12:27 PM

If she didn't have arthritis and wasn't herd bound it would be reasonable in my area. Given those factors though, I'd say right at $1000 would be closer to what I could find one similar for.

lilruffian 07-20-2011 01:06 PM

I agree that $2000 was a bit high. She sounds like a great allaround horse, but she is 24 with health problems that may only get worse. I wouldn't have paid more than $1000 simply because with the arthritis & the fact that she's older you may only get a few years out of her & you wont get your money back if you decided to get another horse.