The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Rushing on and off Float (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/rushing-off-float-92458/)

RedTree 07-20-2011 03:09 AM

Rushing on and off Float

Buzz has started rushing like full on scrambing/running on and off the float.
The last time he floated before this time he did hit his head so I think that might have something to do with it, but not to sure.

It's like he full on freaks out going up and going down and has to get on and off as fast as possible.

He is fine once he is on the float and once it's moving.

Any tips on hw to overcome this or do I just need to practice?

Gluey33 07-23-2011 11:14 PM

You need to practice. Work on him moving on and off one step at a time. Cause he's bumped his head it may take a few goes to get him to even slow down. Just keep at it and make sure you have plenty of time. Bumping his head suggest he wasn't truly calm about the whole process in the first place?

RedTree 07-24-2011 04:41 AM

he was impatient the time he bumped his head, I wanted him to stand up for a few seconds but he was refusing pulled back hit his head on the top and then bolted off backwards.

Thanks for the advice he is better going on but still full on runs off, I can't hold onto him so I just let him go and my friend catchs him down the bottom.
I can't really make him go slower or one step at a time because he will then put his head up again and probably hit it...

Gluey33 07-24-2011 05:37 AM

try one step on step off, 2 steps on step off, 3steps on..... If he starts to rush go back a bit and repeat. Make sure you pause and praise for standing still.

You may want to do some groundwork and get his attention before you start.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 07-24-2011 08:14 AM

The way I taught my horse to stop rushing of was hold her and keep her focus on me, like hold some hay or a treat in front of him and keep his focus on you that way and take it a step at a time it may take some practice and talk to him to keep him calm the whole time.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedTree 07-24-2011 09:19 PM

A soon as I ask him for a step backwards he runs back...

Arksly 07-24-2011 09:36 PM

I would practice just walking, halting, and backing him up past the float with the doors open. If he rushes forward stop him, wait until he calms down and move him back one step and vise versa. Then just keep working him near the float.

After a while you can just ask him to take one step towards the float and halt. Then one step closer, etc. Then ask him to bring one leg on and stop, back him off and then ask for one leg then the other and if it goes well, call it quits for the day.

Also, when walking him forward don't look at him. Lead him forward like you usually would. Good luck!

natisha 07-24-2011 10:04 PM

I had a horse come here for training that did that. He was here for something else & when I saw him bolt off the trailer the owner said he has always done that.
We started on the ground with a longe line loop around his hauches & over his back, like halter training a foal. Asked him top move forward with the rope, when he did that well we asked him to back & stop with the rope cue. Once that was mastered we moved into the trailer & asked for one step, stop with the rope, one step, stop until he stepped back only when asked. Timing the cues is crucial.
The whole sesson took about 15 minutes.
I think he either he never really knew how to unload but he may have had an incident also. After his lesson he never again bolted off the trailer & didn't ever need the rope again.
This may not work or work as fast with your horse but it is worth a try.

This works for unloading. For loading I agree with the advice above.

RedTree 07-27-2011 07:47 AM

whats the rope clue to backup?