The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   beginner reiner (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/beginner-reiner-92464/)

cowgirls4 07-20-2011 03:11 AM

beginner reiner

Hi i am starting reining with my 11yr old stock horse.
Gelding,Bay. And we need some help with learning how to teach him the spin.
I cant afford a trainer so please dont tell me to go to a trainer. thank-you for your help. cowgirls:D

Nahvar4ever 07-20-2011 06:10 PM

Hello there, Im not a trainer so I am not even going to attempt how to help you with your horses spins but when I DO recommend is maybe to buy a book :) There are many reining books for sale in tack stores written by reining trainers based on starting a horse.... It will be difficult without a trainer but good luck!

cowgirls4 07-22-2011 03:31 AM

Good idea, Why didn't i think of that!

sherkad25 07-23-2011 09:25 AM

There are also several videos on youtube that may help. Good luck.

Allison Finch 07-23-2011 10:25 AM

I am not a reining rider/trainer so won't even presume to try to help you, BUT you might try some of these videos.

Now, I don't know if these are good instructional videos, but I'm sure the reining folks can let us know:wink:

Good luck!!

BTW, read the comments below the videos. The trainer gives advice there, too. I have learned a bunch researching this for you!!

heartprints62 07-23-2011 11:31 AM

Subbing.... I'm learning reining too!

Allison Finch 07-23-2011 01:09 PM

HA!! You won't be learning it from ME!! LOL! However, we have really good reining people on this board who are very helpful. Until they pipe in, check out all the videos on Youtube. Just be aware that there is a lot of BAD advice there, too.

cowgirls4 07-24-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1108774)
HA!! You won't be learning it from ME!! LOL! However, we have really good reining people on this board who are very helpful. Until they pipe in, check out all the videos on Youtube. Just be aware that there is a lot of BAD advice there, too.

Thanks this is alot of help!!:)

Silvera 07-24-2011 12:14 PM

You need to get the basics started before working on speed. Start with turn on the haunches. Work on getting the horse to sit on the haunches, pick up the front end and get the horse to cross over their front feet. You want to aim to get them to pivot around their inside hind. Once the horse is able to do that properly then you can start asking for some speed. They need to be able to balance themselves as they turn around.

AmazinCaucasian 07-27-2011 11:30 PM

Watch he Trocha videos, lots and lots, you'll learn something new every time. But if you want instruction on here, I'm bored, so I'll give it a shot

1. Make sure he's light and supple for best results. (doesn't pull on your hands when you stop or back up) It helps alot if you can move his hind over too. You'll use this to correct turnarounds.

2. Walk circles while tipping his nose to the inside. spiral down until your horse is turning as tight a circle as you can get.

3. Anytime you feel him moving forward instead instead of turning around, you can back up. Not alot, just to the point where he started forward impulsion. After you back, start your turn again. Continue turning and every time you feel forward moion, bring him back and start another turn.

4. He may start locking down and not turning, kind of like a horse backing a few steps and sulling up. If this happens, you may be rushing them but what I do is slap them on the indirect side with your rein.(turning left, slap on right side) If you do this, make sure you're telling them where to go with the direct rein. If you don't do this correctly it will really screw him up.

5. Don't start asking for speed until he's properly turning around. When you do, use the outside leg and use the spur for reinforcement only.

I'm NOT a reining pro, but this is how I do it. I skipped lots of details, but this is it in a nutshell