The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Separating horses for feeding time (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/separating-horses-feeding-time-92483/)

LetAGrlShowU 07-20-2011 10:33 AM

Separating horses for feeding time

Do you separate your horses for feeding time? I know some people do mass feedings to their herds, but how do you ensure the fat ones get less, and the skinny ones more?

I have been separating horses for feeding time since I began feeding in the pasture as opposed to their stalls. Well Monday evening, since I now only have 2 non-dominant horses together, I fed Aidan and Cooper together. I put Coopers food about 150 ft away from Aidans and lots of hay in between. Aidan gets 1/2 scoop of feed and Cooper gets 1 1/2 scoops. Well Aidan ate his and then went on to munching grass with no bother to Cooper.

I tried again this morning and watched Aidan push Cooper right off his food. Cooper didnt like this and kind of searched around for me, then walked back to his food, ears pinned. Aidan bit at him and that was it, Cooper gave up.

Any suggestions? Just continue separating them? I know it makes sense to jsut do that, but making 2 trips to the pasture in the morning and 2 trips in the evening to return them to the same pasture. It isnt easy when I leave the house by 6:30 am and have to get 2 dogs settled and my 5 year old ready for scool. Whew! Its exhausting. LOL

mysticalhorse 07-20-2011 10:45 AM

I cant seperate my girls but I do feed Mystic closer to the house because when Spyder dumps her feed she will run over to take Mystics. I have a whip at my front door that I use for presure, not beating, all I have to do is give the verbal command & hold it out and Spyder will go away back to her dumped out feed. Mystic has caught on & is no longer my 30min eater....thankfully! Spyder is the domninate one and is always testing me.

You could try mixing a little hay in the feed so it takes longer for him to eat his 1/2 cup?
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 07-20-2011 10:47 AM

I separate mine.

You can use grain bags if you want to feed them outside with out separating.

Beauseant 07-20-2011 10:52 AM

We seperate ours because our OTTB has severe and dangerous (to other horses ) food aggression....

MHFoundation Quarters 07-20-2011 10:52 AM

I seperate mine. If I didn't my boss mare would have everyone's meals and she definitely doesn't need them! :lol:

MN Tigerstripes 07-20-2011 10:52 AM

I also separate mine. How long does it take them to eat? Maybe you could feed separately and put hay out, water, do other barn chores while waiting for them to eat. Then you can put them back out together.

LetAGrlShowU 07-20-2011 11:01 AM

We have an automatic waterer so in the morning, my only chore is to feed. It takes Aidan 3 minutes, but Cooper- like 20. So what I do is I separate, feed, go back in the house, get dressed, get daughter ready, feed and water dogs, then go back outside and put Aidan back in with Cooper. The hay is put in with cooper, so he gets first dibs, then Aidan eats whatever is left (which is usually alot)

flytobecat 07-20-2011 11:04 AM

We feed ours their hay together. We have one more feeder than we do horses, so there is always one open feeder. We feed their supplements and grain separately.

gigem88 07-20-2011 11:06 AM

I don't separate, they all know where their personal feed bin is located. They all wait by their bins and nicker at feeding time. Every now and then the food hog will attempt to steal anothers feed, but not very often.

Indyhorse 07-20-2011 11:11 AM

Only some of my horses are on grain. Those that get grained come in to the barn and are stalled while they eat. I bring the ones that get grain in, feed them, then put down hay etc outside, attend to other chores etc, then let the grained horses back out. Those that get grain know who they are and are waiting at the barn door at feeding time. Those that don't get grain stand out by the gate waiting for the hay.