The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Boring rides, suggestions please!! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/boring-rides-suggestions-please-92535/)

Fudgelove 07-20-2011 05:37 PM

Boring rides, suggestions please!!

Hello everyone, I have a pretty general question but I really would like some good answers! My horse is great but he just turned 7 and has a short attention span haha. I am looking for some things to mix up simple rail work and circles . Im open to anything but I would prefer if the suggestions can help him listen to me/ help with bend or anything that is fun but helps him or me somehow. Thank you for your time any answers are greatly appreciated!! (fun little games are appreciated too (: ) :wave:

waresbear 07-20-2011 10:15 PM

Practise horsemanship, equitation patterns. Ride to music, different types of music and work out a pattern to go with music. It's what I do to fend off repetition doing arena work. For the record, my horse likes AC/DC.

Fudgelove 07-20-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1105367)
Practise horsemanship, equitation patterns. Ride to music, different types of music and work out a pattern to go with music. It's what I do to fend off repetition doing arena work. For the record, my horse likes AC/DC.

Thanks so much! Sometimes I forget the simple things I can do! Thats so cute with the music preferance haha (:

AmazinCaucasian 07-20-2011 11:51 PM

Get one of those big balls and play soccer; (pole bending poles work good for goal posts). Or play tag with a friend.

anndankev 07-21-2011 12:46 AM

spirograph

I posted this on another thread of yours a day or two ago, it seemed to be a bit of a thread killer though. I have a lot of fun with it with 2 reins as well as one rein as I described it before.

Franklin County Jr Fair is on this week, but my farrier who is always there stopped in to fix a trim today, he saw my coffee can poles set up in a circle and asked if that was my roundpen.

I explained my way of using them by asking if he knew what a spirograph was, and said I do things like that. figure-8's moving over one pole each time, circle every-other one around, .... He says I've invented a new game, I think he's going back to Fair and telling people about it.

So anyway I'll give it another go here in a Bored What Can I Do thread.

Quote:

I like to set up 6 coffee can poles evenly spaced in about a 50 foot circle and ride inside the circle and outside the circle and figure eights around poles across from each other, weaving them actually makes a square, so we can practice corners... All sorts of patterns and turns and arcs and circles.

mgarzon 07-27-2011 12:35 PM

Good suggestions! I've also found, if they're getting bored of ringwork, so change it up with hacks, some cross-country work (if your horse jumps), etc. It's often enough to refresh them so that they return to the ring in a better frame of mind :) Plus, it's fun!

Jumpehunter 07-29-2011 08:31 PM

Set up a course of polls. Do something that will make him think. Make an L with polls and back up through them. Make a box with polls and practice your halts by trying to land in a perfect halt in the center of the box. Spit transitions at him and see his reaction time. try a counter canter, extended trot, work on those flying lead changes. I can recommend a gizilion courses and such but what I think you need is the books 101 dressage exercises and 101 exercises from top riders. These helped me put some variety into my training sessions and the lessons i teach