The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   A question for all those who feed/have fed Probiotics.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/question-all-those-who-feed-have-92551/)

OTTBLover 07-20-2011 09:01 PM

A question for all those who feed/have fed Probiotics....

Hi!

I'm currently feeding my OTTB mare powdered Probiotics daily. I bought a large tub that will last me 2-3 months.

I'm wondering, when the tub runs out, should I to keep her on them, or do I just cut them out of her diet?

For those who have fed/currently feed what did you do, or what do you plan to do?

Thanks in advance!

MySerenity 07-20-2011 10:10 PM

I wish someone would respond! I just received my probiotics from smartpak today and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money...

OTTBLover 07-20-2011 10:22 PM

I don't think they are a waste of money, my mare has improved in leaps and bounds since she has been on them for the last month...

But since they are quite expensive, I was wondering if it was best to keep feeding them daily, or to cut them out completely when the tub runs out, OR I guess only feed them when under stress, i.e worming, antibiotics, competition, change of feed etc.

I want to to what is best for Lady, but I don't want to be flushing money down the toilet either!

I hope someone will reply soon too! :wave:

RATHER BE RIDING 07-20-2011 10:22 PM

What is the reason that you are feeding probiotics? I tried it for my horse who has loose poop and every change in his diet seems to upset his system. It did absolutely nothing for him.

OTTBLover 07-20-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RATHER BE RIDING (Post 1105293)
What is the reason that you are feeding probiotics? I tried it for my horse who has loose poop and every change in his diet seems to upset his system. It did absolutely nothing for him.

I'm feeding them to her as she had severe gastric ulcers, and we were also concerned that she might have acidosis.

I'm feeding her several different supplements to help with her digestive problems, probiotics being one of them...

WhoaNow 07-20-2011 10:39 PM

I feed them to my senior equine (29 yrs), his teeth are mostly worn down from age,
and I feed them to help him maximize his digestion.
I do everything I can to help my old guy:wink:, and the probiotic was incorporated into one of his other supplements.

RATHER BE RIDING 07-20-2011 10:42 PM

Have you looked at the different supplements that you are using to see if they already have probiotics in them? I was surprised to find that a lot of feeds have probiotics in them also. Instead of cutting them out all together, you could start cutting back and see if she shows any changes. If not, stop using them, but if she does seem to be distressed without them, you can just start right back up.

I hope that someone can be more helpful than I was - sorry.

OTTBLover 07-20-2011 10:45 PM

Rather be Riding - None of the other supps have probiotics (mostly they are all natural/herbal supplements)...

Thanks for your help - that is probably what I would do. I'm just curious what others do so I can make an informed decision...

Thanks WhoaNow - how long have you been feeding them? And obvoiously you intend to keep feeding them indefinitely?

Beauseant 07-22-2011 03:01 AM

In my opinion, probiotics are not a waste of money. we feed them to both our horses on a daily basis.....for different reasons.

We feed it to our 6 yr. old OTTB because when we bought him his body score was a 2. Even with added weight supplements, he wouldn't gain weight...until we put him on SmartDigest from SmartPak.....now people keep mistaking him for an appendix!!!:shock: he is kind of chubby, but really!!!

We also feed a multi vitamin supplement with probiotics added into it for our fat draft. She gets SmartPak s Easy Keeper Grass supplement because she gets NO grain and since we've moved here we have had a difficult time finding a hay dealer who sells QUALITY hay....oftentimes having dealers pass off hay that looks ten years old. So, since the quality of the hay varies from shipment to shipment, dealer to dealer and even bale to bale....we have Epona on a multi vitamin supplement.

IMO, probiotics are essential for hard keepers, older horses and horses with high metabolism like TBs or horses with digestive issues.

DancingArabian 07-22-2011 03:13 AM

We have several OTTB's at my barn, though only one is on probiotics (Pro-Bios, specifically). He gets it 1x/day. He has improved since he's been on it, and he was the hardest keeper out of the whole lot of OTTB's (tons of issues).