The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   His smell lingers. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/his-smell-lingers-92579/)

Bandy 07-21-2011 02:23 AM

His smell lingers.

so i found a bag of this i hid a few weeks back when my horse was put down, a shirt, singlet and hat along with a chunk of hair of the gelding i had put down, i hid the bag to avoid dealing with it. now i think im going to be ok but i found the bag and the tshirt smells like him :'(

Indigosblue 07-21-2011 04:16 AM

my baby mare was put down on Christmas and i still haven't washed my winter jacket. In fact i bought a new one to avoid washing my old one..... i don't ever plan on washing it, even though its got some blood stains. It's one of the only things i can remember her by, so i don't want to lose it. I hope you get over your pain soon, and i am sorry for your loss. Hopefully you have another horse who can look after you, that's what got me back into riding. I just got a new horse and take so many pictures every day, just so that i will always have something more than a a jacket to remember. I'm saddened the most by my fading memory, and i feel it's important to have tangible things to remember, so always hold on to your stuff!

gigem88 07-21-2011 08:34 AM

Sorry for both of your losses.

Bandy 07-23-2011 06:46 AM

My bf said to wash it,but i wont, i have loads of pics and videos and took a bunch of tail and mane, ill be braiding a bracelet out of it to help the other horse i have. I have a 3 yr old gelding that spent two years with taj, and has apparently been quite the terror on my neighbours property out at my dads, they had to move him after the old mares came into season and then he has been standoffish and actually kicked (hes never connected with anyone but has attempted to lash out) my mates dad.
Hes fine with me but when im not there he apparently comes off as a complete nutter. im a little worried they will ask to move him. so suming up, im hoping the smell off the taj bracelet will sooth him.
if it works i may braid around the end of his lead so he smells it when ever they clip up on him

Beauseant 07-23-2011 11:23 AM

We had to have our Palomino QH put down two years ago, and I had someone offer to make me a horsehair bracelet if I kept some of his tail...at the time, I couldn't do it......keeping some of his tail would have hurt too much......

here i am two years later, and it still hurts......

in a way i wish i had some of his tail, but in another way, touching it and seeing it would cause me so much pain....

I made a video tribute to him:

and i cried so hard I had chest pains.

So, I know what you are going through.