The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Used truck input please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/used-truck-input-please-92632/)

coffeegod 07-21-2011 02:35 PM

Used truck input please

I don't need a truck 24/7 and I really love my current car. I am, however, sick of hauling hay and feed in my car. I want to buy a beater truck just to haul horses locally and do feed store runs. I know enough about cars to be secure with them but know nothing of trucks. I would appreciate it if some knowledgeable/strongly opinioned soul who knows more of trucks would give me some insight? Are there red flags for which to look while dealing with older model/higher mileage trucks? Should I even bother with buying a beater truck? Is 200k+ miles something to avoid?

I am clueless. Help? Please?

.Delete. 07-21-2011 02:43 PM

If you want something with over 200k+ miles I would look into buying a diesel. Diesel engines are built to last up to 300k+, tho diesel is expensive you get better fuel milage when hauling things then you would a gas engine. Personally I'm a ford girl I have a 1993 F350 diesel with 240k miles on it with the original engine AND transmission. Also the rust on it isn't that bad. I also have a 2000 powerstroke (ford)with 159k miles on it that I drive daily back an fourth to work which is an hour drive. If your interested in a diesel the best diesel engine per make of truck is Dodge: 5.9 cummins diesel Chevy: 6.6 duramax Ford: 7.3 powerstroke. I don't know what your preference is according to make so I listed them all. Goodluck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lobelia Overhill 07-21-2011 05:15 PM

If you're buying second hand and it has a wooden floor, check the floor thoroughly!

kitten_Val 07-22-2011 10:48 PM

My best advice would be to find a good mechanic you can trust and do the inspection before you make a final decision on truck.

As for older: I have older (cheaper) Chevy. I only use it to haul the trailer and deliver stuff like hay, mulch, dirt, etc. Nothing fancy but as long as it does the job, who cares. I can't commute on it though as I'll run out of money - all will go to the gas. :-)

outnabout 07-30-2011 10:43 PM

Coffegod, I will also be looking for a used truck sometime next year for hauling my horses on weekends for playdays and trailrides. Have been doing a lot of research. I'm going to stay safe with a dealer-certified preowned vehicle, Dodge or Ford diesel, hoping to find one as old as possible with 50-100K miles on it. Would also like to have AC since I'm in Texas. I've been browsing online for several months just to see what is out there. Something I would buy when the time is right comes along once every few months. My daughter's student loan gets paid off before I buy a truck :lol: Right now, we all share trucks and trailers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Delete. (Post 1106278)
If your interested in a diesel the best diesel engine per make of truck is Dodge: 5.9 cummins diesel Chevy: 6.6 duramax Ford: 7.3 powerstroke.Posted via Mobile Device

.Delete, thanks for the info!

waresbear 08-06-2011 12:49 PM

If you are going to be towing a horse trailer, locally or otherwise, I highly advise having a mechanic check it out, you want to be on the safe side. If you're just gonna use it to haul hay & feed, you can get away with a beater, but beware, older fords & their stupid trannies are expensive break downs.

.Delete. 08-06-2011 01:17 PM

Hey now. I have a 1993 f350 dually that I use to haul my 34ft gooseneck. It has it's original tranny, never gave us any problems. Any truck can break down and give you problems, it's all about how they are taken care of.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 08-06-2011 01:31 PM

Oh totally .Delete. But if one forgets to keep the overdrive turned off while hauling, which someone has, I won't mention who, has done it's kills trannies in the older models. I do love Fords though, have a new diesel superduty, powercity baybee!

.Delete. 08-06-2011 01:44 PM

Oooo what year?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 08-06-2011 01:53 PM

2008 F250, husband's, I just use it for hauling the horsetrailer, which is fine with me, pain in the butt to park as it has a lift kit. I quite like my 2011 week old Kia Rio (b'day gift, very spoilt this year, got a brand new trailer for mothers day) for driving to work & such. I couldn't believe it the 1st time I filled Shorty (nickname for his truck) up with diesel, $115.00!!!! Geez, surprised they didn't ask to see my credit rating before I pulled up to the pumps!