The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Barrel prospects? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-prospects-92646/)

BarrelRacing10 07-21-2011 06:24 PM

Barrel prospects?

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...-42-36_862.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...0118001522.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...2369302394.jpg
she is the first one with the green breast collar.

the first horse you see is a 12 year old QH gelding bred and trained for cutting, sweetest horse you will ever meet, and very very muscular. I would like to know if he is a barrel prospect. I dont have any pictures of his hind end, but its very muscular as well.

the other 2 pictures are of my now 4 year old QH filly. she was 3 in the pictures when they were taken, and she hasnt changed any, she has just filled out, she does have a low tail base and a very calm disposition for being 4. She acts like she has the maturity of a 7 year old dead broke gelding.

Which horse has the most potential to be a barrel prospect if not both of them?

the filly has experience and can make the turns, but I wanted to make sure she has the right conformation before I started training her hard core. and the gelding hasnt been cut in 6 years and works very well off leg pressure and is very fast.

thanks so much!
BarrelRacing10

and questions post um!

btw if you dont mind, could you explain to me why you picked which horse and explain the high and low points of them??

I havent ever looked at barrel horse conformations.

thanks again

beau159 07-28-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelRacing10 (Post 1106508)
.....the filly has experience and can make the turns, but I wanted to make sure she has the right conformation before I started training her hard core.....

btw if you dont mind, could you explain to me why you picked which horse and explain the high and low points of them??

I havent ever looked at barrel horse conformations.

So I guess I am just curious how you don't know anything about what a barrel horse should look like yet you plan on training it yourself? I mean nothing rude by the question; just an honest question!

Based on confirmation ALONE and nothing else (certainly not the only thing you should base a barrel prospect purchase on), I would choose the first horse. He has nice rounded hindquarters, a short balanced back, low-set hocks, and just looks nice.

The 3-year-old is young, yes, but if you say she hasn't changed much in conformation, I wonder how well she would fill out to look more barrel-horse-like. In the photo, her hindquarters are not near as muscled or rounded as you want, and her neck ties in thick to her body.

However, you need to keep in mind that the gelding is already 12 years old. It takes anywhere from 2 to 4 years to have a 100% finished barrel horse. So you need to ask yourself what your long-term goals are and what you want to achieve.

What are the pedigrees on both of the horses? Pedigree isn't everything, but it is certainly something to consider. Who has more speed in their bloodlines?

shortysmalls 07-29-2011 10:49 PM

Okay... Now if the top one was a little younger I would definitely say her.... But it takes time and its better to start with a younger horse for barrels... You cant base a barrel horse just on its conformation... All horses are different... And yes bloodlines can be a big help but Ive seen horses with no good bloodlines win at barrels... There are TBs who win barrels and they aren't short and stocky like they say barrel horses should be... You cant really just look and say Oh that one will win. It all depends on the horse. On if they like barrels. How you train them. Their willingness to learn. Barrel horses normally have a lot of energy... You cant work your horse too much on barrels or they'll become sour and not do much you ask. Be sure to still get out and trail ride and spend time with them. I would say since age is a factor here to try the filly out .. But the 12 y/o may do better than her... You just have to try them both out and see... Since you havent done barrels before then you should go to a few rodeos first and maybe get a friend or retired barrel racer to help you.. You can walk a horse and trot a horse on barrels but loping is a different thing... Your horse must know how to rate... You cant teach them to turn that barrel to tight... Because in a walk or trot they can do it but in a lope if you turn them real tight they hit it real wide on the other side and you lose time... There's just so many factors... I would really suggest getting someone to help you... And while your training take them to a rodeo and do exhibition runs and just walk the barrels... This is to get your horse used to being in the arena... The rodeos.. All the excitement and different new things surrounding your horse.. They cant always adjust like us.. No one cares in exhibition anyways ... If you go you will see many people who just walk or trot their horse so they can get used to it... I know my barrel horse's first rodeo he would not go into the ring for the Grand Entry to ride around... He threw a fit... Otherwise he did great outside the arena... You never know what your horse likes and doesnt like so its best to take it slow... So dont rush them in the training either just to see if they are gonna be good... If you take the training too fast youll mess them up ... Just like when you break a horse... If your horse hasnt got the walk down dont trot... If he hasnt got the walk or trot down dont lope... It wont be a good lesson to your horse.. Good luck!! :)

SorrelHorse 08-03-2011 01:52 AM

I agree. The first gelding jumps out at me as a barrel prospect.