The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Fly Repellent -- Skin So Soft (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/fly-repellent-skin-so-soft-92670/)

JLynn 07-21-2011 10:15 PM

Fly Repellent -- Skin So Soft

Hey all,

I need some advice on the best fly repellent that you've used. I've heard that Skin So Soft is a good product to use. My sister-in-law is an Avon rep and has told me that there are many varieties now. I imagine that I should look into using the oil, but there is also an aresol bug spray. Has anyone used these products and have you found them to be effective?

I have used a myriad of sprays that do not really perform to the degree that they are described, and I am using SWAT around the eyes and ears. My friend/barn owner told me how to use it. Today I began using Flash's fly mask with the ears and took it off this evening.

I am a fast learner, but I admit that learning the in's and out's of horse ownership can be overwhelming to say the least. :? I cannot say enough about the willingness of you seasoned veterans to offer advice and share your knowledge with beginners like me. I appreciate you all very much. :-)

MyBoyPuck 07-21-2011 10:36 PM

I haven't tried Skin So Soft, but hear it works well. As far as the Swat, pay attention to your horse's belly. A lot of horses get eaten up down there. The Swat works very well in their sensitive belly area.

Poco1220 07-21-2011 10:54 PM

I use skin so soft oil. Either straight or I mix it in half and half with a waterproof fly spray. Always works great for me and makes for a healthy, shiny coat!

Golden Horse 07-21-2011 11:15 PM

I apologize for a little hijack here but HELP

I have Skin so Soft, Listerine, vinegar, maybe some tea tree oil, can I make a fly spray out of that lot, what quantities would you use?

Shasta1981 07-21-2011 11:42 PM

Yes I use skin so soft. I usually mix it with a fly spray. You want the original Bath oil. Smells really nice and it helps.

Sorry Golden I've never made fly spray before.

JLynn 07-23-2011 12:39 AM

Thanks guys...ordered one oil and one bug spray. Will let you know how they work. :)

Day Mares 07-23-2011 01:47 AM

I feed my horses a clove of garlic and a splash of apple cider vinegar each day. Keeps flies and biting insects away all year long :)

equiniphile 07-23-2011 11:44 AM

I use a different kind of spray whenever I run out so the flies don't become resistant to a certain type. I've used Skin-so-soft mixed with water, and it seems to work well.

brandilion 09-25-2011 01:59 AM

I know this is an old thread, but Skin So Soft oil is the only thing that keeps the bugs off my one mare. (But I haven't tried the bug spray.) BUT be CAREFUL using it on the face or any white or thin skinned area. I totally spaced that this summer & put it all over her WHITE muzzle & sunburned her! What a bad mom! I use it straight, because it didn't work for her when I diluted it with water, or with water and vinegar.

melaniK 06-09-2013 03:54 PM

Skin So Soft Original Bath Oil is the proper product for this mixture:

1 part Skin So Soft Original bath oil
1 part apple cider vinegar
1 part or more water

Do not use the oil alone. It can clog your horses pores, and cause overheating.