The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horse fell to front knees (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-fell-front-knees-92671/)

coreyk67 07-21-2011 11:00 PM

Horse fell to front knees

In my previous post i informed you of how new i was and would have a ton of questions ... here is another :)
The last few rides have gone well and I have definitely gotten to know Caesar much better. I am more relaxed and confident and was starting to think “hey this might not be so bad". With that being said i ran into a little problem today. I took him out for a ride in the pasture he is used to and he stumbled a few times then fell to his knees. I just knew i was going to fly over his head but managed to stay in saddle. I started to head back to the barn and he stumbled twice again, so i dismounted and walked him the rest of the way so he or i wouldn’t get hurt. I examined his hooves and he seemed ok to my untrained eye. I am really worried about this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
CK

.Delete. 07-21-2011 11:05 PM

If all other medical problems and/or physical problems have been ruled out I'd say your horse needs to learn where is feet are. Set up ground poles a few in a row and do alot of trotting and walking over them. It's ok if your horse hits his feet alot he will eventually start to pay attention to his feet
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-21-2011 11:08 PM

When is the last time that he was seen by a farrier? If it has been more than 5 or 6 weeks, then he could certainly be needing a trim.

What was the temperature when you were riding? If it was very hot, he could have just been feeling hot and lazy and not wanting to pick his feet up.

Or, he could just be one of those clumsy horses that is naturally prone to stumbling around. The only thing I have ever found to help a horse like that is to ride them through rough country and dead-falls where they really have to watch where they put their feet. Enough miles of that and it seems to translate to smoother ground as well.

If he continues to do it consistently in cooler weather after his feet are trimmed, or if it gets worse/more frequent, it couldn't possibly hurt to consult with a vet just to make sure there is nothing more serious than clumsiness going on.

dudey 07-22-2011 08:15 AM

i would say his feet may be to long or he is lame?

Darrin 07-22-2011 10:38 AM

Definatly could be his toes, I have one that at the 6 week point or so will start to stumble on his right front. I've helped this by squaring off his front toes instead of rounding them. Also he stumbles more when he's out of shape and starting to get tired, muscling him up helps.

If it's a young horse or has never been ridden much I would say he's still trying to figure out how to carry the extra weight.

farmpony84 07-22-2011 11:44 AM

What kind of horse is he? Were you walking or trotting?

coreyk67 07-22-2011 01:15 PM

He is a Tennessee walker and I was slowly walking him.

farmpony84 07-22-2011 01:20 PM

My geuss is there is something more then just his feet going on. I would think there is something neurological happening. I can't remember all the ways to test for that. I know walking down hill is one thing to do...

Darrin 07-22-2011 03:14 PM

Was it a show walker in an earlier life? Stacks are not easy on them and cause problems. Also some show people and breeders have been known to purposely damage their horses (founder, soring, etc) to gain more front end action for shows. The association is trying to clean things up but it hasn't been easy.

equiniphile 07-22-2011 03:24 PM

I have to wonder if the pasture had holes in it. Sometimes, with uneven footing, the horses are pretty unsure of their feet and end up stumbling a bit.

If not, my vote is for neurological. A horse with a bit of an overgrown toe is not going to go on his knees on smooth ground repeatedly. Here's a link on Wobblers Syndrome....I would read it and write down any similarities.

http://www.equinewobblers.com/Diagno...xamination.htm