The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wool dressage girth?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Ray MacDonald 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble finding one that isn't insanely prices, as in under $50(preferably less then $30 tho). I've looked at my favorite horse shopping sites and am not having any luck, ok well i found one in brown, but my saddle is black. My mare is a little girthy and i'm currently using a neoprene wintec girth(came with my saddle) but I've heard some horses(especially thin skinned OTTB's) don't like them and do better with a wool, so I would like to try and see how she likes it. Can anyone help me find one. Her current girth is a 28" but it's a little large so I'm thinking I'll get a 26". Thanks!

#3 ·
Could you place a link to what you are looking for, please? I don't think I've seen "wool" girth. Neoprene, leather, and fleece - definitely yes.

P.S. I use Pro Choice (neoprene, non-slip) myself.

#6 ·
I'm honestly not 100% sure lol, in another thread someone mentioned that a lot of horses don't like neoprene and most horses if they are girthy like wool girths. I guess maybe something like this Mattes Shaped Sheepskin Dressage Girth < Sheepskin and Fleece Girths < Dressage Girths|Dover Saddlery .
or this Dressage Girths I don't want to spend a lot of money just to fine out it makes no difference to her but if she doesn't like neoprene i'd like to switch to something that will make her more comfortable. I normally prefer neoprene girths tho lol

#5 ·
not sure if this is what you are talking about but my Arab loves it. try horse.com
they have a nylon web girth with wool padding it's very comfy never had any saddle sores from it ever and i think it sells for 28.00.

it has lots of good reviews washes well and looks fine IMO. i wear it over a stuuben leather girth i paid around 100. for casue the hoses seem to like it better.

#7 ·
Are you positive it's neoprene and not a specific girth? You can look into fleece one (although it doesn't stay nice and clean unfortunately but it's for sure soft :) ).

#8 ·
I have no idea, for all I know it's just her being mareish but I just wanted to try something different and see if she seems to like it better. She is fine when riding but when I tighten the girth she pins her ears and sometimes acts like she is going to bite me(she knows better, but she may bite someone she doesn't respect as much such as the girl leasing her)...now that I'm looking at it online i'm not even sure that my girth is neoprene lol, this is the one i'm currently using http://hlz.cc/1OL Maybe Val(barn owner) has a dressage girth i can try, although I know she has one dressage saddle, although the girth may be too small as i've only seen her use it on one of her lesson horses and he's short, but he's fat so it may even out lol. I just want to make sure she is comfortable while riding. She doesn't have any marks to indicate the girth is pinching or anything, but I hear OTTB's can be funny about neoprene :lol:

#9 ·
Hmmmm.... Could you borrow a different one to try? Because it very likely may be not a girth, but the attitude. My qh always tries to nip the person holding her while I tie the girth (she's not trying to do it on me though). If she's busy sometime she "forgets" she wants to nip, but if she's not busy she may look for the chance (even though she's disciplined every time).

My paint has sensitive skin, but I never had issues with my Pro Choice (which is neoprene and kinda "rubbish" (not smooth) on side that goes on belly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.