The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   ANy suggestions for CHEAP theraputic saddle pads? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/any-suggestions-cheap-theraputic-saddle-pads-92933/)

Barrel Baby 07-24-2011 04:34 PM

ANy suggestions for CHEAP theraputic saddle pads?

HI,
Just wondering if any of you have any good suggestions for a theraputic saddle pad. my horse is getting older and her back tends to be sore...i know that leads to saddle fit too (working on that)!! but ive been borrowing one for a few days..ive ridden hard and her back hasnt been sore at all!!!

any suggestions on where i can get a good cheap one?:?

THANKS!!! :D

corinowalk 07-24-2011 04:43 PM

Buy used. They all need broken in anyways...why not buy one that all the work is done? Ebay is a good place to start.

heartprints62 07-24-2011 05:08 PM

There is no such thing. Sorry. You get what you pay for in tack, and quality isn't cheap.

The problem with buying a used therapeutic pad is that being "broken in" is not usually what you want. Use creates wear which leads to pressure points, which will just compound the problem your already having.

blue eyed pony 07-25-2011 04:36 AM

I have a ThinLine pad. I never use it, because my horse doesn't need a therapeutic pad, but used to use it for a pony that you could never get a saddle to fit because as he changed weight his back shape would change and something that fit when he was at ideal weight was just way off when he was fat. He never went sore even once and that saddle was in use on a very regular basis. I would ride bareback if it was really off but it was only 'right' when he was at a good weight, which was rarely.

Edit; my thinline cost $100 AUD, they are probably cheaper in the US. That is probably as cheap as you're going to get while still being good quality. They are amazing. You can get them with a sheepskin built in or without (I had just the thinline material) and they are available for English or Western saddles.