The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Therapeutic Riding Centers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/therapeutic-riding-centers-92942/)

tcb5040 07-24-2011 05:27 PM

Therapeutic Riding Centers

How many of ya'll are part of a therapeutic riding center? I've been a part of one for a while, and am just curious to see how many people do it, and the different methods ya'll use. The barn I am a part of only uses the student with sidewalking and doing exercises so far, but Rupert is coming to certify some of us in Horse Boy Method in September. We also do trail rides with the kids, they love it!

Thanks

heartprints62 07-24-2011 05:50 PM

I worked at one for awhile. Unfortunetly, it was a VERY small center and they had called me because they heard I worked in physical rehab AND trained horses, so I ended up being their horse trainer more than working with the clients. Sort of disappointing to me, but they had a few AMAZING horses that I am proud to say I got to work with.

Indyhorse 07-24-2011 06:02 PM

That's my plan for my place, here. I'm NARHA certified as a therapeutic riding instructor, but my facilities are not in shape enough to provide services. Long term goal!

Ferhoodled 07-24-2011 07:48 PM

I've volunteered with one for several years now. They have a couple dozen horses (nice variety!) and both an indoor and outdoor arena. Riders are all ages, from 4 to 70 (75? 80? not entirely sure). Some are basically independent (no sidewalkers or leader) and have been riding there for years, which is really awesome. There's also hippotherapy with a physical therapist, for the younger kids. It's such a wonderful thing to be a part of. I love it :D

egrogan 07-26-2011 05:36 PM

I have volunteered at two. In my previous home in Chapel Hill, NC, I worked with CAN-TR (About CAN-TR). I currently live in New Hampshire and am a volunteer with Miracles in Motion (Miracles in Motion Therapeutic Riding), which I adore. I'm a former urban elementary school teacher, so the combination of kids and horses is just perfect for me, and it's so wonderful to see the progress riders make after you've known them for awhile. Horses really do change people!

Skyseternalangel 07-26-2011 06:21 PM

I work at a NARHA therapeutic riding center. All of our kiddos start out bareback on a horse with side walkers and a leader, and eventually progress to riding on their own with supervision but no side walkers.. learning all gaits (walk, trot, canter)

Some even show. These are mainly autistic kids...

Incredible :)

Caribbeanhorse 02-23-2012 10:08 AM

Hello there, one thing is for sure you will love it!!! it will be therapeutic for you to.
I run a Horse Sanctuary and Therapy centre in Cozumel Mexican Caribbean, we work with volunteers who also come to learn natural horsemanship.

If I may I would suggest you listen to the people that are with these horses 24/7 and do as they tell you. We recently had to ask a Norwegian girl to leave the centre as she insisted in doing things her way endangering herself and the horses in the process.

Relax, feel the horse and remember they are thinking living beings that will pick up on your moods and emotions...hence the therapeutic side of them, apart from the physical exercise. The therapy is physical and emotional.

you will love it I am sure!

RoosHuman 02-23-2012 10:23 AM

I volunteer at a local rescue. I lead in their Advanced Rider class. There are side walkers that normally just walk along side. We do lots of obstacles and drill team. The kids I work with are very independent and smart! They catch on to patterns way sooner than I do. :P

AndreaSctlnd 02-23-2012 11:32 AM

I board my horse at a Therapeutic Riding Stable. www.doublerainbowfarm.org It is an awesome place.

Mission Statement
Using equine-assisted activities, persons of all ages with emotional, physical and learning disabilities, will be taught to gain independence, and experience personal growth in a therapeutic environment. The approach of mind, body and spirit acting as one, will accomplish great things.
At Double Rainbow Farm, our purpose is to give individuals of all ages and abilities
an alternative recreational program that is tailored to their/your specific and personal needs.
With the opening of Double Rainbow Farm we have been given an opportunity to give hope, happiness and freedoms to those in need and to help disadvantaged persons in their community become “Saddled With Hope” - One smile at a time.

We are in great need of Volunteers and Students here at Double Rainbow Farm, so please call or stop by to learn how you too can make a difference in the life of someone special.. Even Your Own