The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
- - Pet Peeves (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pet-peeves-92954/)
Okay, I really wanted to start a thread about pet peeves you have with other horse people.
1. When people smack their horse as a praise, you know, like "good boy", *smack smack smack*, Instead of actually thinking about the fact that a horse doesn't really see smacking as a praise... I dunno, maybe that's just me, but a scratch on the withers is what a wild horse (or a domestic horse for that matter) would do to their horse friend, so why wouldn't we give them a scratch on the withers for praise?? You should. You should.
2. People who yell at their horses.... yeah you're horse really understands what you're saying when you yell it even louder, and ESPECIALLY when you scream loud enough for the neighbors 600 acres away to hear. I'm sure the horse is thinking "Oh, I get it NOW! Thank god she yelled, I couldn't hear her! Wow, I'm so glad I understand!"
Those are my two biggest, but I have MANY more... and I want to see what other people think!
My biggest pet peeve with other horse people is when they use the wrong terminology on horses. Ie... I have a dappled grey horse, then they show you pictures and it's a flea bitten grey. I'm sorry, but if you have horses, learn the terminology that goes along with them!
My biggest pet peeve when other are around horses, is the obvious use of non-safe methods of everything! I'm sorry, but there are certain ways that things are supposed to be done around horses for a reason. It's not just someone being a butt to make things more difficult!
1.) People who nag their horses with their hands, legs, or crop. Give a clear signal.. don't nag the nag!
2.) People who want a quick fix and go thru all sorts of bits, tie downs and other nonsense when they really need to go back to simple basics and get a foundation.
3.) Blaming the horse.
I have several pet peeves, but I'll list a couple here.
1. Seeing people load up all sorts of unnecessary gear on their horse in the name of "training" - especially when its being used incorrectly and possibly ruining what could have been a good horse. Its even more frustrating when they claim its their trainer doing it and don't have enough common sense to question their trainer about it or look for a new trainer.
2. Getting a bigger bit in a situation where it really isn't the solution.
3. People claiming their horses are out of big-name lines when that big name so far back its off the papers.
4. People claiming the improper height on their horse (saying their horse is 17 hands when its obvious its more like 15) and not knowing how to denote hands - 16.5 hh instead of 16.2 hh.
5. People who want to breed but don't have the slightest understanding on proper conformation or what makes a good breeding animal.
Yeah I agree with all of these!
I just thought of another one- When people don't accept advice from other horse people, I mean, they don't have to take it obviously, but when they walk away all snotty without even giving it a chance, that drives me nuts, or when people get mad at people who use different methods, especially natural horsemanship methods, because they think just beating the horse will make it the perfect horse because they think they're being so intimidating and showing the horse who's boss, when in all reality, just being the boss shows that your the boss, you don't have to pretend you're the hulk and sit and whip the horse to no avail.
Biggest pet peeve is the quick fix bits and when people allow children with bad arena manners loose with everyone and the kids run their horses at you and into and up others butts.
I posted this in another thread but I'll say it again here without the specifics.
Being a newbie I havn't had very much time to develop many pet peeves, except this one...
I hate when other newbies try and tell me the hours of research I've done to understand a specific problem is wrong because that one "expert" they know told them something different.
I hate when somebody places low inn a class at a show and then say it was because the judge didn't like them or their horse or something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hate it when people bash tom thumbs/Argentine snaffles when they have probably never even used the bit just because they found some article on the internet written by some guy that doesn't like the tom thumb.
I also hate it when people ride with tons of contact and then use cavessons and martingales to try to keep the horse from gaping it's mouth and under control. These people are usually the ones that insist snaffles are the only acceptable bit. Well, yes, maybe if you hang on the horse's head like that, you had better not use a curb or tom thumb after all!
And yes, the pet peeve that got me flack in the other thread about pet peeves. People that own really nice horses but never use them and refuse to sell them. What a waste of a good horse.
I really like all of these ! I agree with all of them.
Some more I'd like to add:
1. I'm not starving my horse, he has a gene that makes him skinny.
2. People who insist they know how to "rescue" a horse and then they starve it too.
3. People who breed just to see what color they'd get or just to see what a cross between two breeds would look like.
4.People who assume all gaited horse people put chains on their legs to make them gait.
5. Anybody that inflicts pain on a horse in order to win ribbons and trophies.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.