The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lame on her front right (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lame-her-front-right-92976/)

tcb5040 07-24-2011 10:24 PM

Lame on her front right

The last couple of weeks, while riding my horse, she goes lame. She's just fine until we canter, even if it's only for a minute. She throws her front right for the rest of the ride, which is usually when I turn back or bring her back to the barn. She's in a very rocky pasture, so I'm not sure if it's a bruise or abcess. How can I check for a bruise or abcess? Is there anything else that you would suggest me checking?

loosie 07-25-2011 12:08 AM

Hi,

I'd stop riding her for now, until the prob is sorted. Certainly don't canter her, as you've already established this hurts her the most. If out riding, it's also a good idea to get off & not continue riding if your horse becomes lame.

If her feet are reasonably healthy, she shouldn't have a prob with rocks in her pasture, but if her soles are thin, bruising & subsequent abscesses are certainly a possibility, rocky trails or otherwise. Usually bruising - & definitely abscesses IME don't just show up at the canter, so it's probably not(only at least) either of those things. Is she shod? Have you asked the farrier? Have you considered a vet?

tcb5040 07-25-2011 06:58 AM

She is shod in the front, the farrier just came about 2 weeks ago, but she wasn't limping then. The vet is kind of complicated. Since its not bothering her while just walking around or during lessons, the owner probably won't have the vet come out for financial reasons
Posted via Mobile Device

ItzKayley 07-25-2011 08:03 AM

Is it possible that you could ring a vet or farrier and ask about it? That way its only costing a phone call. :-D She could have a lame leg not hoof. :-D Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 07-26-2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcb5040 (Post 1110637)
She is shod in the front, the farrier just came about 2 weeks ago, but she wasn't limping then. The vet is kind of complicated. Since its not bothering her while just walking around or during lessons, the owner probably won't have the vet come out for financial reasons
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh OK. If you're not interested in getting a vet or farrier, then all I can really say is don't ride her until she's well & truly over the prob. Assuming it's something like a fracture(who knows) that will need at least 6 weeks to be strong enough.

tcb5040 07-26-2011 10:07 PM

Well what me and the owner said today was we would put her on a cycle of bute for 4 days, and I would ride her on the 5th without it and see if she goes lame. If she still does then I will stop riding her for 3 weeks and see where it goes from there.

I just hate to stop riding her, not for the reason that I don't get to ride because I have another horse I ride regularly, but she loves to go on rides. And I just now started getting her comfortable with me. But we'll just see