The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/vitamin-b1-thiamine-9300/)

Hrt4Dressage 05-24-2008 03:44 PM

Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)?

Does anyone have information on a vitamin B1 defficiency? I have researched it a little... what I'm trying to find out is where horses naturally get most of their B1 vitamin... I know a defficiency can result in a horse that is nervous, anxious, or stressed and tense. I am assuming that most of this vitamin comes from grass, and one article stated that horses with a lack of pasture will have a defficiency, however I can't seem to find an exact answer on where the B1 comes from. Thanks!

I know you can buy it as a supplement, but I'm looking for where they naturally get it.. thanks!

Abby 05-25-2008 02:49 PM

I supplement my horses with B12, I'm didn't know people supplemented with B1... what does it do exactly for the horse?

jazzyrider 05-25-2008 09:17 PM

i add a complete supplement to my horses feed that is based around b1. its pretty important that if your horse isnt getting what they need from their grass or hard feed that you supplement with these things. im not sure where it naturally occurs but i would assume grass seeing as that is all they would eat in the wild

Hrt4Dressage 05-27-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyrider
i add a complete supplement to my horses feed that is based around b1. its pretty important that if your horse isnt getting what they need from their grass or hard feed that you supplement with these things. im not sure where it naturally occurs but i would assume grass seeing as that is all they would eat in the wild

We're moving to a new barn on the 1st, and it's a lot more "high end" than where we are now... I have a 1yo daughter and when I was pregnant/she was really little we moved him to a backyard barn to save money since I wasnt doing much riding... He's gone back to work so now we're moving to a farm with an indoor/outdoor, and a more personalized feeding schedule. I'm toying with the idea of supplementing him with something similar to what you are using. The pasture is much better at the new farm, so I may give him a month or so to adjust to that and see if it seems to balance out on its own.

Are you supplementing to cover your basis, or do you know specifically your horses diet is lacking? Everything Ive read said it's pretty impossible to pinpoint if your horse is getting enough B1 or not...