The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   How do you guys cross train for riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/how-do-you-guys-cross-train-93011/)

legyield768 07-25-2011 09:18 AM

How do you guys cross train for riding?

Hey guyss, I was just wondering what you do to keep in shape for riding? I swim 5 days a week on a club team, all year round. I love swimming because it strengthens every part of your body, especially your legs.:-)

bubbleslove 07-25-2011 09:55 AM

Pilates is the BEST! It's so, so good for core strength, which you really need for an independent seat. I've taken way too much time off of my pilates classes, I'm hoping to start back up with it in the fall if time permits.
Posted via Mobile Device

MsKibibi 07-25-2011 11:51 AM

I take ballet classes. I was taking ballet before I started to ride and was happy that it helped with my riding. The only major differences is that with ballet its all about turning out my hips and putting weight into my toes. As opposed to riding where my hips shouldn't be turned out (otherwise my knees/ankles would stick out rather then face forward) and I have to put the weight into my heels. Other than that, its great for balance, endurance, working core muscles, using muscles independently, and grace (and who doesn't want to look graceful while riding? ;P)

DejaVu 08-10-2011 07:33 PM

I run XC, and its really upped my leg strength.

tblver 08-22-2011 07:08 PM

Crossfit! On any given day I will have worked out my entire body, including somehow building strength/endurance.

Brighteyes 08-22-2011 08:43 PM

ZUMBA! I love zumba. :D And weigh lifting. I'm not sure if the muscles gained by weight lifting work well for riding, but they certainly help for barn chores.

thesilverspear 08-28-2011 07:33 PM

Rock-climbing and hiking/mountaineering. I have found that riding improves my general fitness and ability to walk up a hill but I don't know if it makes any difference the other way around.

BarrelracingArabian 08-28-2011 07:40 PM

I do a LOT of walking haha and then have certain exercises i do to help keep my back and core strong also :]

thesilverspear 08-28-2011 07:42 PM

Sitting a really big trot keeps your back and core-strength up. :)

DraftXDressage 08-29-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tblver (Post 1145991)
Crossfit! On any given day I will have worked out my entire body, including somehow building strength/endurance.

Ditto that! Love Crossfit. I also take spinning classes for endurance and TRX training for strength and balance.