The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sarcoids: Toothpaste Experiment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sarcoids-toothpaste-experiment-93048/)

HollyLolly 07-25-2011 04:29 PM

Sarcoids: Toothpaste Experiment

8 Attachment(s)
I have heard that toothpaste is a cure (not scientifically proven) for sarcoids. There is not much evidence of this, as not many people have tried and documented it. I have decided that, being as my horse has many sarcoids (all currently benign) and scaley patches, that I would do the experiment, with Indi's help of course.

Originally, people have tried Crest brand toothpaste, however, it's no longer around in England. I have heard that it is the Fluoride in the toothpaste that eliminates (possibly anyway) the sarcoid. I'm a dental nurse, so I have access to toothpaste fairly readily, so I decided to buy the toothpaste with the highest fluoride available, without a prescription. So, I bought Duraphat 2800. I also bought Duraphat Rinse (mouth wash). These products have the highest fluoride content available without a script (to my knowledge), and the toothpaste cost around 5, the rinse around 3.70.

I intend to first spray on the rinse (watered down to make it last longer) to the sarcoids (including the scaley patches), then topically apply the toothpaste to them. Here are the before pictures (they are white where I have been applying an antiseptic over a few days just to keep them clean in the mean time) I've also included a "diagram" (don't laugh at my ridiculous drawings, I'm no artist!) of where they are located.

Diagrams. (Key: O = Sarcoid; # = Scaley Patch) and Pictures:
*(By the way, sorry for rambling, I just want to be thorough. If you're interested, please subscribe, I'll try to update often, and any questions, please ask)

Diagram 1 - Indi's left side
Picture 1 - Above her right Eye
Pic 2 - right side neck
Pic 3 - under chin (blurred, sorry)
Diagram 2 - Indi's right side
Pic 4 - Inner right thigh
Pic 5 - Left side neck
Pic 6 - Next to lip, left side

HollyLolly 07-25-2011 05:17 PM

By the way, I am not an expert on sarcoids. I'm just looking for a cure of the pesky growths without resorting to surgery Etc, as being as they're benign, there's no need for surgery. I just don't want them there, as I'm scared they'll spread, also, even though the biggest one, on her thigh, doesn't seem to bother her, it bothers me, because that's a tender place, poor girl :/

Also, I am NOT claiming that this will definitely work. Even if it does work with Indi, I'm not saying it'll work on your horse. I'm just interested to see if it will work.

I applied the rinse and paste for the first time today, I'll keep you posted.

Lobelia Overhill 07-26-2011 01:37 PM

subbing cos I want to know what happens!

best of luck with it

HollyLolly 07-26-2011 02:00 PM

Thank you! I'm very excited to see how it turns out :-P

Alwaysbehind 07-26-2011 03:30 PM

Interesting experiment. Good job with the drawings and photos. Look forward to your further documentation.

HollyLolly 07-26-2011 03:55 PM

Thank you Alwaysbehind, like I said, I'm no artist, but atleast it gives the general impression of where they are hehe

Todays Sarcoid Update: I went down this evening to give Indi her feed and put on today's applications. The smaller, flatter sarcoids are already getting dry and are flaking off, leaving smoother skin underneath. Especially the one above her right eye (pic 1 on original post) I didn't take my camera (because I didn't respect results this fast!) but plenty flaked off the one above her eye, which was really 'bobbly' (such scientific phrases haha) and after peeling, was much smoother. Not 100% yet, but hey, it's only been on 1 day!

Oakley Eastern Miss 07-26-2011 04:41 PM

Oo thats a good idea - worth a try. Im glad to see you are noticing a difference already, sounds promising. Make sure you keep us updated!

HollyLolly 07-26-2011 04:57 PM

I definitely will! I'm excited about this experiment, and so keen to be rid of these pesky growths, that I won't be giving up! I won't be able to apply it this Saturday, Sunday and Monday as I'm away (getting family to look after them, but just feed an water, but she'll survive without some applications) Just thought I'd let everyone know, I know it's not ideal for the experiment, but I'm hoping 3 days won't hurt too much, and it I don't go away often, so shouldn't happen on may occasions (touch wood).

Lobelia Overhill 07-27-2011 10:50 AM

Sounds god so far!! :-)

HollyLolly 07-27-2011 04:08 PM

Tonight's Update: Looking even better still. The round one, on her lip (pic six in original post) is scabbing off nicely, it's gone crusty and detached around the outside, and is only holding on by a little bit of flesh in the middle (I've made sure to get plenty into the skin in the middle that holding it on, hopefully it won't be too long before it's off!) And there's a flatish sarcoid on her left cheek (no pic sorry, but marked on diagram 1) that is the same, just holding on by a little bit of skin!

The scaley patches are scaling right off, and every application of toothpaste also ex-foliates the debris. I'll try and get some more pics if I can remember, as everything's looking a lot better already!