The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   2 week out baby lost his dam (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/2-week-out-baby-lost-his-93068/)

dullylover 07-25-2011 07:00 PM

2 week out baby lost his dam

4 Attachment(s)
my baby lost his mother we have been bottle feeding him for 3 days now...
Is it worth it?
Attachment 70669

Attachment 70670

Attachment 70671

Attachment 70672

corinowalk 07-25-2011 07:06 PM

Well, he doesn't look sickly. If he was worth breeding, he should be worth bottle feeding.

BarrelracingArabian 07-25-2011 07:09 PM

i say he is **** well worth it you bred him you take the consequences of what could happen durning a breeding or anytime after when the baby is in need of his mother

themacpack 07-25-2011 07:20 PM

Worth it as opposed to what - not feeding him?? I'm really not understanding your "question".....

Golden Horse 07-25-2011 07:23 PM

Lighten up people, I'm taking that as a tongue in cheek question. You have an awesome looking little guy there, good luck with raising him and I'm sorry you lost his momma, what happened?

MacabreMikolaj 07-25-2011 07:38 PM

^

This. I'm pretty sure the OP was posting adorable photos for the purpose of asking "is it worth it? JUST LOOK AT THIS FACE!"

I'm terribly sorry to hear about his dam. Best of luck with him, he looks to be in fantastic health, keep up the good work!

Golden Horse 07-25-2011 07:41 PM

This pic alone shows he is worth it

http://www.horseforum.com/attachment..._1895180_n-jpg

dullylover 07-25-2011 07:53 PM

No i am bottle feeding it, i should probably edit my post. to "is it worht breeding? just look what happened this little guy lost his momma" But he had his mom up to 3 days ago. A freak pasture accident happened and the mare had to be put down. I don't know if i am ever going to breed another one of my mares after this. This little guy (needs a name by the way) has to go every where with me. He was at my rodeo yesterday (thats where the pics was taken) But is it worth breeding if this happens? I really don't think it is.

themacpack 07-25-2011 08:09 PM

Well, honestly, a freak pasture accident can happen regardless of breeding or not - to me, this specific situation would not influence my decision on breeding. If the loss of the dam was breeding/foaling related, that would be more of a question in my mind. Look at it this way - were it not for having taken the chance on breeding, you'd be w/out the mare and not have this little piece of her left behind.

Golden Horse 07-25-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dullylover (Post 1111466)
No i am bottle feeding it, i should probably edit my post. to "is it worht breeding? just look what happened this little guy lost his momma" But he had his mom up to 3 days ago. A freak pasture accident happened and the mare had to be put down. I don't know if i am ever going to breed another one of my mares after this. This little guy (needs a name by the way) has to go every where with me. He was at my rodeo yesterday (thats where the pics was taken) But is it worth breeding if this happens? I really don't think it is.

Maybe you should edit that one as well, you are bottle feeding HIM, he may not have a name yet but he does have identity.

He looks like a Harry to me.

Oliver Twist is always popular for orphans, which is why you shouldn't choose it, but Dodger, Fagin, Sykes, Dickens would all work:wink: