The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Any tips for first time eventer? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/any-tips-first-time-eventer-93074/)

HorsesAreMyLife33 07-25-2011 08:41 PM

Any tips for first time eventer?

Hey everyone!

So I have an eventing clinic on July 30 and 31, and im not sure what to expect.... I mainly ride dressage so I'm not much of a jumper, but I have done some jumping in the passed. Not a lot though...

it is pre-entry level and I'm going with my six year old Arab/saddlebred. He seems pretty confident over jumps but that can change if I'm not confident aswell. Any tips to build my confidence a little bit, I'm very excited but not sure what to expect. :-)

HorsesAreMyLife33 07-28-2011 01:12 AM

Bump??

corporate pride 07-28-2011 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreMyLife33 (Post 1111455)
Hey everyone!

So I have an eventing clinic on July 30 and 31, and im not sure what to expect.... I mainly ride dressage so I'm not much of a jumper, but I have done some jumping in the passed. Not a lot though...

it is pre-entry level and I'm going with my six year old Arab/saddlebred. He seems pretty confident over jumps but that can change if I'm not confident aswell. Any tips to build my confidence a little bit, I'm very excited but not sure what to expect. :-)

i event in australia so some things might not apply. first things first, check ALL your gear and tack are legal and that your not missing anything.
in australia, a rule came in this year for body protectors, need them c grade and up, also they banned a few bits last year.
get up to date info, dressage dress like dressage, shwjumping/stadium (i think you call it over there) dressage like dressage but your horse should have a jump saddle on and boots (unless rules say different about boots), XC is different so check the rules.

in dressage i dress for dressage, showjumping i add boots, change bit, reins and saddle and add breastplate....xc from showjumping i change saddle pad, boots, bridle with showjump bit, i dress in long sleeve ai flow type shirt, medical arm band, gloves, body protector and number holder....and alot of lip balm!!!!!

check your gear for all phases, bring a saddle pad for every phase, use 2 bridles or at least bring 2, incase one doesn't past gear check or it breaks bc your horse stepped on the reins tacking up or whatever LOL bring LIP BALM!!!! spare jodz, if it's over 2 days i would bring 2 show shirts and 2 jodz so that if i get soaked or fall off or get dirty i have clean/dry ones.
bring electrical tape, bandaids (good to cover illegal jewellery you cant remove), print out your times and tape them inside you float/truck/car so you know your times, double check them before each phase. if you don't have an event watch, a normal digital watch with a stop watch on it is great too, extra hair ties for you and the horse, hair spray fixes everything :p if your crap at braiding your own hair just make the bit out of your helmet look good and drown the rest in hairspray to hold it in place LOL that's what i do.

i got lots but this is a long post LOL

my most valuable advice, buy a plastic box with a lid, make that you event box and keep all the bits and pieces in it, them when you have an event you chuck a few extra things in and grab it to leave :)

have fun!!!!!! eventing is fun, talk to people and let people knows it's your first time out, they most likely will give you tips and cheer for you!!!