The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   First fall in nearly 5 years, it hurts more then I remember lol (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/first-fall-nearly-5-years-hurts-93081/)

Rachel1786 07-25-2011 09:38 PM

First fall in nearly 5 years, it hurts more then I remember lol

Yep, I fell off today! last time I fell off was 8/1/06, so next Monday would have been exactly 5 years lol. I'm helping out as a camp counselor where I board my one horse and we were playing bareback relay races. I don't ride bareback often(I have a TB and an old arab/quarter who aren't very comfy, and my appy would be comfy but he's not trustworthy yet) but the 3 horses we were using were all pretty wide so no bony withers so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a try. I was going to be the last on my team, first girl kicked warrior just a little too hard and he took off then turned and she fell off, landed on her feet but held the reins so she ended up falling, next kid got a leg up but was practically on warriors butt, warrior again took off(just at a fast trot each time) he made it almost to the end and then fell off and rolled, then it was my turn, I decided I better put a helmet on(I wasn't going to wear one as mine was all the way in my car and I don't like wearing other peoples helmets). I got on, he again took off at a fast trot and before I even knew what had happened I was on the ground! I didn't even have time to grab mane lol. I landed hard on my hip, I almost cried(I'm 25 and didn't want to cry in front of the kids lol) so instead I just started laughing. In my younger days I fell off a lot! When Blue, my arab/quarter was fat I would ride him bareback all the time and with him being so bouncy I would almost always fall off at the trot, never ever got hurt. Last fall (5 years ago) I got bucked off, that hurt cuz i got the horn in my ribs and fell off flat on my back knocking the wind out of me. I don't even think that compares to how I feel today tho, where I landed is killing me, I discovered on the drive home that my shoulder hurts(no idea why, I don't think I landed on it, and it's opposite side of my hip) I have a killer headache, my back hurts and just overall hurt all over!

Sorry if this is kinda jumbled and has spelling and grammar errors, I took a pain killer and it's making me a little fuzzy lol. Thanks for reading if you managed to make it all the way through. I think I'm going to stick to using a saddle from now on! There have been a lot of times where I almost fell off, but normally I know I'm going and can save myself, I didn't even know I was going today. I was just talking to the other girl this morning about it being a while since i've falling off, I totally jinxed myself, I even knocked on wood!

AlexS 07-26-2011 02:18 AM

Sorry that you came off, I think maybe the horse should have been calmed down first or traded out as you were the third to come off him.

Hope you are feeling ok tomorrow.

flytobecat 07-26-2011 02:29 AM

Sorry you fell. Sounds like you might have pulled a muscle or something in your back.
Hope you feel better.

tinyliny 07-26-2011 02:53 AM

I know I keep saying this, but if you think it hurts to fall off at 25, imagine how it feels at 53! I fell of just few weeks ago. Horse trotted along, then spun 180 and I kept going. I fall off regulary. Must have a crummy seat, but I have come off 15 times in the last 12 years. Some of those were bucked offs, but plenty wer just plain fall offs. The next day I always feel like I got run over by a truck. I guess I have a perverse pride. One of the few things I do well; fall.

Equilove 07-26-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1111884)
I know I keep saying this, but if you think it hurts to fall off at 25, imagine how it feels at 53! I fell of just few weeks ago. Horse trotted along, then spun 180 and I kept going. I fall off regulary. Must have a crummy seat, but I have come off 15 times in the last 12 years. Some of those were bucked offs, but plenty wer just plain fall offs. The next day I always feel like I got run over by a truck. I guess I have a perverse pride. One of the few things I do well; fall.

I'm 19 and I'm so scared to come off. Last time I came off the horse reared me off - I slid straight down his back, over the saddle, and landed directly behind him... luckily I came off before he went all the way over, since there was a fence behind us (he was trying to get to the other horses and was NOT taking me trying to get him away from them). That was about 3 months ago. Before that was my "confidence buster" fall... I had been out of riding for a few months and a friend asked me to ride his TWH gelding, who was kind of naughty apparently. I got on him and he was fine, and then out of nowhere he leapt in the air and started doing these awful rears - head down between his knees, then all the way up in the air, over and over and over again. I couldn't get his head up - he used the reins to slam me on the ground. It hurt... but I got right back on. However after that I seemed to be a little less confident on green horses...

dee 07-26-2011 02:54 PM

I know what it's like to fall at a very fat 53, but I can't blame it on Dancer. I fell down the side of a ravine that I tried to use to remount her. Busted myself up pretty good, but I can't wait to try again!

I just hope that when I'm finally able to ride again, I don't get a bad case of the chicken outs!

Rachel, I hope you heal quickly and well. And I hope you are still riding, and enjoying it, when you are my age!

Rachel1786 07-27-2011 12:56 AM

Thanks guys, I'm alright today, where I landed doesn't even really hurt, what does hurt are my arms and shoulders, I think after I hit the ground I rolled a few times, I don't really remember. Warrior wasn't worked up or anything really, after the first 2 people fell off I stood and held him for a few minutes and he was calm as anything, but as soon as you asked him to walk off towards the cone he knew it was race time lol. I have a good seat when I'm using a saddle, no so much bareback :-P...I even rode today(my horse with a saddle) I didn't do much as she was being a bit spooky riding in the outdoor and I didn't want to push my luck since Bella is 16hh and warrior is probably only 14.2 or so and falling off her would really hurt. I didn't want to end up on the ground 2 days in a row! Hopefully I can ride in the indoor again soon, right now there is a huge wasp nest in the one corner and I don't want to ride ANYWHERE near that lmao