The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Update to my horse's healing hoof- pics may be gross to some (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/update-my-horses-healing-hoof-pics-93162/)

Angel_Leaguer 07-26-2011 04:12 PM

Update to my horse's healing hoof- pics may be gross to some

5 Attachment(s)
I had started a thread earlier: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...warning-91874/

This is April's current status (it will be 5 weeks tomorrow). We went to the vet yesterday. April had swollen up quite a bit over the weekend. The cast was taken off and we found that the chunk of hoof had started disconnecting from the rest of the hoof. The vet clipped the wires and the chunk just hung by a small piece of tissue- the tissue was cut and the chunk of hoof was removed. The farrier trimmed up the hoof and made a custom shoe to fit what she does have left for a hoof. They would like the shoe to stay on for 6 weeks before having it reset. Aprils foot will need to be soaked (to help reduce infection) and re-wrapped for the next 4-5 days and then re-wrapped every other day for 2-3 weeks (depending on how well it heals). She is still on very limited walking until further notice. Both the vet and farrier expect a full recovery except her hoof will not be shaped like a normal hoof once it is done growing out.

Attachment 70793
right after the cast was removed

Attachment 70792
some hoof removed

Attachment 70790
back view after some trimming was done

Attachment 70794
side view after shoe was placed

Attachment 70791
The shoe

Rascaholic 07-26-2011 04:22 PM

Ok that just looks horrid!!! Poor girl:( and poor you. I hope she comes out of this sound. Do they seem to hold the same hopeful prognosis after this set back? I checked the other thread you posted the link to.

HollyLolly 07-26-2011 05:13 PM

Oh my goodness! Poor girl! And poor you for having to go through this ordeal! She's lucky to have you, some heartless people would have her put down there and then. Atleast the vet and farrier both think she can get through this. I hope she heals up soon. Those pictures look horrific, she must be very sore right not. Good luck to you and your girl, I hope she heals quickly and without problems

RATHER BE RIDING 07-26-2011 06:06 PM

I am so glad that you posted a follow up. I have so much respect for you and the love and care you have shown your horse. I can only imagine the sleepless nights. I have to admit that I find the pictures fascinating. The healing process is so incredible. My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery, no set backs and a happy horse!

bubbleslove 07-26-2011 08:30 PM

Wow! That's a pretty awful thing to have your horse go through - I need to go read your first thread!

Have you ever read about Chuck Taylor, Fallon Taylor's stud who basically cut off his whole hoof? This one reminds me a little bit of his story. It's amazing how it's possible to bring them back from such horrific injuries. Here's her video about his accident/recovery

csimkunas6 07-26-2011 08:51 PM

bubbleslove, that is an amazing video!!!

To the OP....Good Luck with everything with April!!!! Keep us updated on her recovery progress!!!

Angel_Leaguer 07-27-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RATHER BE RIDING (Post 1112756)
I am so glad that you posted a follow up. I have so much respect for you and the love and care you have shown your horse. I can only imagine the sleepless nights. I have to admit that I find the pictures fascinating. The healing process is so incredible. My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery, no set backs and a happy horse!

Thanks everyone for the comments, it means a lot to me... it has been a LONG five weeks so far but in the end it will be worth it.

To Rather Be Riding's comment I will plan on providing updates every few weeks as things heal. I always like looking at case studies and seeing how things heal so I am going to be doing something like that myself :) I find the pictures fascinating myself... just wish it was not my horse. Some of the staff at the vet clinic have been taking pictures everytime I go in there as well. I do not mind it since it will hopefully help another horse out in the future (an owner not knowing if it is worth fixing...etc)

bubbleslove- thanks for the video. The story is truly amazing. I just hope my girl grows out a decent hoof wall.

Yesterday when I went out to the barn it was the first time that I saw April bear full weight on it while in the stall (normally she is balancing on the toe and the right leg has all of the weight). The swelling was down about 25% from Monday and on our little barn alley walk she did take a couple of full steps on it. She was not happy about the wrap coming off and having her foot soaked. The vet made it look easy but then I got to thinking about it she had some sedation and a block on that leg.

ItzKayley 07-27-2011 07:53 AM

Naw, poor girl! Best of luck with it! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Annnie31 07-27-2011 08:10 AM

What an awesome job you have done caring for your horses foot injury. Hats off to you. You are an setting a great example for all of the new horse owners who come on this site.

@Bubbleslove....that video is amazing!!! What an inspiration!

farmpony84 07-27-2011 08:54 AM

This is absolutely amazing. I had no idea a horse could sustain such a horrific injury and be treated for it. I am enthralled. You are now my new hero. You and Angel.