The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Survived my first "evil pony"! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/survived-my-first-evil-pony-93203/)

kathryn 07-26-2011 09:53 PM

Survived my first "evil pony"!

So there is a lesson horse at my barn, and he is known as the "Dr. Jeckell and Mr. Duncan" hahaha. He is the perfect little lesson horse until a switch flips and something sets him off.

In my lesson today, we were doing squares around half the ring to work on keeping a horse straight between my legs. When we got to the wall at one point, Duncan wanted to turn right and I wanted him to turn left, and he had a FIT. He started bucking and bucking, just being totally naughty.

And I didn't even blink! I just sat up and pulled him in and had him under control and four feet on the ground within 15 seconds. I have never had to deal with a mean bucker before, only like one or two bucks if a horse gets excited or scared, but Duncan wanted me OFF.

I was really really proud of myself for how I handled it :) And so was my trainer!

VT Trail Trotters 07-29-2011 12:45 PM

Thats a bad pony. There is a pony at a place where my cousin rides and i dont remember its name but the kids get on it and it bucks them off one by one! And Gretchen my cousin posted the video of this in You Tube. I will try to find it if i do ill post it here.

gaelgirl 07-30-2011 08:04 PM

Good for you for staying on, and handling the situation.

kayleeloveslaneandlana 07-31-2011 09:39 PM

Haha good job with staying on!! Ponies hate me! They always want me off.

Saddlebag 08-01-2011 06:05 PM

Think of it from his point of view - he's tired of all the ring work and the bronc act has likely unseated more than a few riders.

kathryn 08-02-2011 09:01 AM

Saddlebag, Yeah, that's why my trainer was happy that I didn't let him get me off. That would only have encouraged his bad behavior.