The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   2ft9 Hunters! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/2ft9-hunters-93216/)

UnrealJumper 07-27-2011 01:50 AM

2ft9 Hunters!

I've finally decided to post this in the critique section! I pretty much know what I did wrong, and I had my trainer there (seeing as it's her barn!), but it's always interesting to hear other people's opinions!

This was the first annual Dreamworks show! As you can tell we are far from hunters (placed 3rd).. haha, but we did this before the 3ft jumpers(which we won!)! My lines were sloppy, I let both of them get too strung out and I totally didn't ride. To #2 I got a long distance, but I think that was alright, I supported it enough to make it work. My hands have always been my biggest issue.. ANYWAY.. critique away!

Oxer 07-27-2011 02:12 AM

Jumpers. 100%.
hahaha!
I love your horses expression. I think your position over fences is lovely.

ErikaLynn 07-27-2011 10:36 AM

It's hard to critique this as a hunter course, because you and your horse rode it like a jumper course. You did well, but everything down to the tack, even your outfit screams jumpers.

UnrealJumper 07-27-2011 10:40 AM

Jumper tack was allowed! We more did this for schooling then anything, but it was great to relax and not have to go fast or worry about time and tight corners.

sarahver 07-27-2011 10:42 AM

Ha, I was watching that vid thinking "that horse should be a jumper" and saw then that I am not the first to have thought that.

For the most part you seem to have a very strong lower leg which allows you to stay out of the way of your horse. I would like to see a little more bend around the turns rather than having him shoulder through them, it will help with your set-ups. Also, you have a habit of twisting your torso around the corners, this I suspect is contributing to your horses's lack of bend around the corners too.

I really like the way your horse locks on to each jump, what a willing partner you have there. I am not a hunter so can't comment on that, however from what I see this horse could make a nice jumper.

Lastly, I would want to do some grid work with him to get those knees nice and snappy.

In all, nice rider, nice horse.

ErikaLynn 07-27-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnrealJumper (Post 1113449)
Jumper tack was allowed!

I figured that. But I was just saying everything about you and your horse is a jumper. I thought you did really well, but you rode it like a jumper course. Even though there was longer lines and no tight turns you and your horse look like jumpers.

PS. There is no need to yell at me.

UnrealJumper 07-27-2011 02:19 PM

Yep, Cally is a jumper. We do the odd eq class here and there, but we mostly just do jumpers.

Sarahver: I noticed that I was a little twisty with my body too. Cally leans into corners like crazy! After every jump all he feels like he wants to do is lean/turn. I'm not really sure what to do about that, suggestions? I feel like I'm working really hard to keep him out :s

P.S. I wasn't yelling. THIS IS YELLING!!!!!!!

UnrealJumper 07-27-2011 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have to admit.. He's pretty cute.
Attachment 70890

ErikaLynn 07-27-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnrealJumper (Post 1113662)
P.S. I wasn't yelling. THIS IS YELLING!!!!!!!

My bad. I was always taught that an exclamation point meant exclaiming something...AKA yelling.

I was looking at your picture you just posted. You have a nice form, but I think you need to bring your stirrups up a hole or 2.

Allison Finch 07-27-2011 02:33 PM

The biggest thing that I saw limiting your horse here will also seriously limit her in jumpers. The horse is stiff and unbalanced in her turns. As a result, she is leaning too far in while turning. She is counterbending on the turns enough to make jumping out of tight turns questionable.

She needs flatwork to get her bending bending bending. She needs to bend in her turns so that she doesn't have to lean in so much. Better bend=better balance=better pace=better turn=better view of upcoming jumps set on turns=better engagement of the haunch=better ability to thrust over the jump=better engagement and balance on landing and better jump recovery=.......see where this is going?

My jumpers do tons of dressage. this is a wonderful horse but needs serious work through flatwork.

Let me say that you are a lovely rider and can go far.