The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Health (/horse-health/)
- - Gelding is lame in right front (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/gelding-lame-right-front-93226/)
Gelding is lame in right front
I'm hoping this is either simple or related to the reason we had the vet out less than a week ago... AAH! It's never ending with this horse right now!:-(
(reason for vet being out was because he come up lame in the right front. Discovered that was a sole bruise/hoof abscess, so he is still wrapped up for that)
I'll try to make a long story short over the few days.. Here goes...
-Day before Yesterday(I think), put Mitch in concrete yard for about an hour (changing hoof dressing), that was fine he just stood there.
-Then put him into a small drier paddock, that was fine, he just grazed for a while.
-Put him into a bigger paddock for the night, where he was quite excited and was running around like a loony, but he was still fine, so obvioulsy the hoof wasn't bothering him.
-Yesterday: Went out to de-cover and found horse running round like loony and had ripped off hoof dressing (:evil:) and plugged hoof up with mud(:evil::evil:).. cleaned that out with iodine/sponge, re-wrapped and poulticed, but this time put inner tube over hoof and taped it up (made sure it wasn't too tight!)
-He then continued to run round like a loony once I had finished, hoof can't have been bothering him.
-Went out that afternoon to put covers back on, and he is limping severly off the right front. Hoof is not sore to touch where bruising was, but front of cannon and right side of it was quite swollen, no heat though.
-Took off tape from hoof and redid to make sure it was no fault of mine(circulation etc and definately was not tight!)
-Today: this morning, still limping, but not as bad(seems fine while grazing and stepping, but not while just walking). Swelling has gone down mostly (was cold wind/rain last night, may have helped?)
-This afternoon, limping badly again, swelling has not re-appeared yet though.
~~ I hope that wasn't too long, but I'm really hoping he just stepped funny while being an idiot in the paddock... I have never, ever, seen that horse move that fast... Ever! and he is a 7yo tb(was raced), who has previously bowed the tendon in the right front(before I got him).. But seeing as the swelling is over the front of the cannon... PLEASE tell me he hasn't wrecked his tendon again!
Seeing as there is no heat to it, and he still has an appetite etc, still his normal self apart from being obviously sore in that leg, is there anything I can do to help him out.
~ If it's any help, it's winter here and the mud just goes on forever right now sadly.
Thankyou to anybody that read all, or even part of that! I'm just so frustrated, this will now be the 3rd time he has come up lame within the past 2-3 months and I'm starting to tear my hair out over it.
1st: Abscess, LF
2nd: Sole bruise/abcess, RF
3rd: Whatever this is.
I can not picture how you had it wrapped.
How do you use an inner tube?
Not all injuries that include swelling show obvious heat.
Not all swelling is showing there is an issue where the swelling is.
Keeping those two things in mind, it is really hard to guess what is going on now.
It could be abscess has closed and developed pressure again (hence the limping). The swelling is just stocking up from the leg dealing with the extra fluids the body is sending there because of the abscess.
It could be that because he was being silly with his foot wrapped (so not balanced and probably not good traction) he tweaked his leg some.
Adrenalin is a cool thing, your horse running around does not necessarily mean that his foot was not bugging him.
I personally would call the vet and ask what they felt you should do now, since they have very recently seen the horse regarding the horse being lame on this leg.
I thought it could have been from the abscess after he plugged up his hoof with mud, so I'm planning on soaking it again today to make sure there's no remains of mud in the hole that the vet dug, suppose it can't do any harm to soak it again, unless there's a possibility that it could sting if the abcess is open?
I just had it in my mind that because he wasn't showing any discomfort before he started running around that his hoof wasn't bothering him during it, but thats true, guess I should have thought of that considering I've been running on adrenaline a few times and not discovered an injury till later.
That's a very good point, i'm just hoping they won't have to come out again because having 3 vet bills just for Mitch within the past 2-3 months is adding up pretty quickly, right when we aren't really getting any income either (not milking just yet, calving will start soon though)
Thankyou for your input AB :)
-I'm also going to the races later and I'm gong to see if I can find his last two owners to ask if he had lameness issues back then or if it's just since being here. I do know he had the issue with his tendon, but that was resolved and from what I've read he went back to win another race.
My horse has an abcess too I wrap it with a poultice pad and this stuff simaler to vet wrap but it doesnt just stick to itself, it sticks to everything then I put a thick layer of duct tape on top of that. Works great! When the vet diagnosed him with a abcess did a lance it? Sorry if I missed something!
Yeah the vet did that and it was draining nicely but then he filled it with mud which is when he started going lame again.
-Today I cleaned it out again, I honestly can't believe he managed to get the inner tube off, it was difficult enough to put on in the first place... I can't even find where he left it.
-I also scraped the surface (where the vet had already done it) with a clean hoof knife and viola, grey watery discharge, so it's draining again now.
-He spent the day in a clean yard with hay and water to see how well the new bandage/wrap thing would stay on, and he's been in the yard something like 8 hours and it stayed on so I put him in a small holding paddock for the night, which is (hopefully) even drier than his paddock before.
He is still limping very badly, so I might get hold of my vet again and see what she says about letting me go in to get some bute for him, but I don't want him to run around again just yet.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.