The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Why?! :( Stupid College (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/why-stupid-college-9323/)

SonnyWimps 05-25-2008 07:37 AM

Why?! :( Stupid College

Well some of you know that I"m a homeschooler...well....if you don't know then I am a homeschooler :wink:
This is my last year of highschool and I've been looking at Community Colleges to go to...to get the basics out of the way...and then transfer to SUNY Morissville.
Well one of my friends is going to Hudson Valley Community and I thought it would be fun to go there with her and take some classes.

So last week my mom, my sister, and I went to HVCC and walked around. We liked what we saw so we went to the Admission Center and asked about enrollment. I guess my mom had planned to enroll me then, so we filled out the forum and under high school I put: "homeschool (NARHS)". The NARHS is a highschool in Maine (stands for North Atlantic Regional Highschool) and I'd be getting my diploma from there. We've paid $600 a year to get that diploma cause they said I'd have no trouble getting into a college with that diploma.

Well, actually HVCC is NOT accepting that diploma? Why? Because I'm homeschooled. Now if I actually lived in Maine...and literally attended that school then HVCC would accept me.

Evidently ALL colleges in New York State has stopped accepting homeschoolers diplomas if they get an out-of-state diploma. But if I go to PA, or VA or CA or any other state....they would accept it!

So I have noooooo idea what's going to happen for college....stupid school district. I guess if worse comes to worse, my mom said we'd move out of state so I could attend a CC in a different state...but still, why does NY have so many stupid regulations?!

The lady at HVCC told me the only way to get in was to get a written letter from the super-attendant at the school disctrict...take the GED....or take the 24 hour credit classes
Now here are the problems....:
with the letter: We didn't send in our Quarter Reports this year because we didn't think we'd need them

the GED: My dad doesn't want me to take the test (no idea why)

the 24 credit: with my work schedual I can't take 24 credits in year...and still be able to work and get to see Sonny

Gah!!!

PaintHorseMares 05-25-2008 07:56 AM

My advice...take the GED just in case you ever need it as documentation. You'll have a document accepted anywhere for the couple hours it takes to take the exam. BTW, my mother is native French and even years ago, not even the CCs would accept her French high school diploma (so she took the GED, and went on to get her B.A.).

SonnyWimps 05-25-2008 08:19 AM

they said the GED was a long two day test...that it is about 3 times the length of the SAT (or at least that's what the lady said).

The point is, I shouldn't have to accept it...they should accept my Maine diploma because any other CC in the USA would accept it...just not New York schools.

Also my mom was e-mailing a lady who was from another CC in NY that had the same problem (she actually works for that CC) and she was talking with the person who made all the rules...and he did say that "if Maine accepts the diploma and New York must" so my mom is going to call the main guy at HVCC and talk to him about it. If worse comes to worse, we'll call the other two CC in my arena and see if they'd accept the diploma....if they do then we'll call back HVCC and tell them that there's another CC that's accepting it and we are going there.

I guess also, if worse comes to worse, there are always on-line colleges so I could always attend one of those for a year...then transfer to HVCC and then transfer to the SUNY college hehe

PaintHorseMares 05-25-2008 08:31 AM

Hope it works out. Colleges in general are notoriously inconsistent for admission requirements and credit transferring.

KANSAS_TWISTER 05-26-2008 03:57 AM

PHM is that france french or quebec french? when i tranferd my daughter over from quebec it was like they had lost her records.

Vidaloco 05-26-2008 03:21 PM

Can't you just get a post office box in Maine and use that as your mailing address for your applications? Then just set up to have any mail sent to that box forwarded to your home address. That way you can prove residence in Maine.

KANSAS_TWISTER 05-26-2008 09:00 PM

vida i don't think that is legal...if it was i'd let her use my house address in maine.

SonnyWimps 05-26-2008 09:28 PM

well what we are planning on doing is, if HVCC does not accept me...I'll apply to another CC and instead of putting "homeschool (NARHS)" I'm just going to put "North Atlantic Regional High School" and if they ask I'll say that's what school I attended...because technically I am attending...I can go to Maine and graduate in their graduation thing and everything

farmpony84 05-27-2008 10:30 AM

online colleges are not a bad idea but you need to make sure they are accredited and even then, some colleges don't accept them for transfers, so do your research before picking one.

PaintHorseMares 05-27-2008 07:50 PM

KANSAS_TWISTER, that was France French...