The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Your feeding schedule? and........ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/your-feeding-schedule-93238/)

nyg052003 07-27-2011 11:58 AM

Your feeding schedule? and........

Just wanted to know if this was sufficient for my horse. I feed 1 full scoop, 3 pints of feed in the morning before I go to work and one in the evening. I also give one wheel barrow full of hay at each feeding. I feed about 630 am on days i work and in evenings about 8pm. When i get home about 4, I let him out to graze from 4 to about 8. My pasture fencing should be done by next wk so he will be able to graze all day pretty much till i put him up at nite. I will still give him the ratio of what I give him now even though he is grazing all day.

Right now, he eats all of what I am giving him in the mornings by I would say 2 hrs max, maybe 2 and 1/2 to 3 hrs. So from 9am to 4 when I get home to let him out to graze, is that too much time in between for him to have nothing to eat? I mean he is healthy and since I brought him home 9 days ago, he has put on a good bit of weight, looks real good.

2nd question is in regards to the fence wiring and rather the wire can actually touch this without grounding out? Guess I'm a little confused as to the things that can cause your wire to be grounded. I know tree branches and weeds and stuff like that, wire touching wood posts, ect. Also, would I be able to continue the run of wire from the other end of he anchor? wondering if the wire will have a continued connection? Link below

Electric Fence Gate Anchor - 3600126 | Tractor Supply Company

Alwaysbehind 07-27-2011 12:02 PM

The gate attachment device you posted the part that screws into the post is insulated from the part that the wire attaches to by the plastic ring. The metal part you attach the fencing to on either side is so the charge can pass from one piece of wire to the other.

It is hard to say anything about your feeding program. How much does one wheel barrow of hay weigh? (I have never measured hay by the wheel barrow.)
How much an individual horse requires (or does not require) is very much a per horse thing. Each horse is different.

nyg052003 07-27-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1113570)
The gate attachment device you posted the part that screws into the post is insulated from the part that the wire attaches to by the plastic ring. The metal part you attach the fencing to on either side is so the charge can pass from one piece of wire to the other.

It is hard to say anything about your feeding program. How much does one wheel barrow of hay weigh? (I have never measured hay by the wheel barrow.)
How much an individual horse requires (or does not require) is very much a per horse thing. Each horse is different.

how would i find out, or is there a feeding guide per weight of the horse, ect. I know there is supposed to be for the feed i guess on the bags

Alwaysbehind 07-27-2011 12:05 PM

I would start by asking the previous owner how much they fed the horse.

Yes, there are feeding guidelines on the bag. I am guessing they are by the pound of feed vs. weight of horse.
Like the feeding suggestions on any bag of feed (for a dog, or cat or anything else), they are just guidelines, not necessarily what your horse will require.

nyg052003 07-27-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1113576)
I would start by asking the previous owner how much they fed the horse.

Yes, there are feeding guidelines on the bag. I am guessing they are by the pound of feed vs. weight of horse.
Like the feeding suggestions on any bag of feed (for a dog, or cat or anything else), they are just guidelines, not necessarily what your horse will require.

yes i did ask the guy upon buying. As for hay, he put a round bale out there for all of his 5 horses.

wetrain17 07-27-2011 01:31 PM

The amount of feed that you are giving also depends on what brand you are feeding and if your horse is in work, or is just a lawn ornament. I.E. I would not give a high fat feed to a quarter horse who is not in work, or even if he is worked 2 or 3 times a week.

Different feeds are designed to support horses and the work programs they are in. With out any more infomation, it will make any other advice impossible to give.

nyg052003 07-27-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetrain17 (Post 1113680)
The amount of feed that you are giving also depends on what brand you are feeding and if your horse is in work, or is just a lawn ornament. I.E. I would not give a high fat feed to a quarter horse who is not in work, or even if he is worked 2 or 3 times a week.

Different feeds are designed to support horses and the work programs they are in. With out any more infomation, it will make any other advice impossible to give.

pleasure horse, just riding and stuff, no work out stuff at least in the short or near future. Will not be doing tricks and barrels and all sorts of sporting stuff, just plain old riding, some running lightly when i ride but lighty, i don't really care to run. I will also edit the original post. I feed sweet mix from TSC with Nuetrena safechoice.

nyg052003 07-27-2011 02:37 PM

well didnt see the edit button on original post so postiing again

pleasure horse, just riding and stuff, no work out stuff at least in the short or near future. Will not be doing tricks and barrels and all sorts of sporting stuff, just plain old riding, some running lightly when i ride but lighty, i don't really care to run. I will also edit the original post. I feed sweet mix from TSC with Nuetrena safechoice.

verona1016 07-27-2011 03:15 PM

The guidelines on the feed bag are a good place to start. You may want to monitor weight gain/loss with a weight tape for a while to see if you're giving the right amount. (Depending on his current weight you may want to aim for some gain or loss, and then try to hold that steady- if you're not sure, your vet should be able to tell you if he's at a healthy weight already)

If sweet mix is the same thing as sweet feed, you may want to consider cutting that out of his diet- it doesn't offer much nutritionally, kind of like candy.

nyg052003 07-27-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verona1016 (Post 1113807)
The guidelines on the feed bag are a good place to start. You may want to monitor weight gain/loss with a weight tape for a while to see if you're giving the right amount. (Depending on his current weight you may want to aim for some gain or loss, and then try to hold that steady- if you're not sure, your vet should be able to tell you if he's at a healthy weight already)

If sweet mix is the same thing as sweet feed, you may want to consider cutting that out of his diet- it doesn't offer much nutritionally, kind of like candy.

i think the sweet mix is actually a mix of both,not just straight sweet feed. 12 %

he actually looks about the size of the horse in your avatar