The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Training a Miniature for Packing (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/training-miniature-packing-93252/)

oreotragus 07-27-2011 02:44 PM

Training a Miniature for Packing

Hi everyone!

I have decided to would be a lot of fun to go camping with my Miniature gelding, Koda (pictured as a foal over there to the left), with him as a pack horse. My question is regarding age of the horse. Koda is a yearling (one year, three months). Do you think he would be physically able to pack by 2 years of age? I don't foresee being out for more than a night or two, so that means I wouldn't be packing much (I don't want to load him down excessively anyway). I think I could take him out for trail walks with a gradually increasing load on his back, not to exceed more than 15-20 lbs at the most, really, over a period of a few months to get him used to the load and the trails. I am excited about this and think it would be so fun to get together with some other local Mini owners for a Mini campout on the trail! :)

Jenni

weefoal 08-02-2011 04:35 PM

They really shouldnt carry or pull too much weight until they are 3 or older and even then you need to make sure their knees have closed etc.

But 15 lbs or less shouldnt be a huge problem as long as its not for long periods.

oreotragus 08-02-2011 10:38 PM

Thanks for replying, and you're right, waiting til 3 is best. I can just take him on hikes with just a halter and lead rope til then to get him used to the trails. I found a place near where I live that provides riding trails and horse campsites for a very cheap fee, and I'd like to take him there sometime, but I'm a little worried that the big horses will freak if they encounter him, from what I gather big horses are scared of Miniatures sometimes.

Also, the Mini in your avatar pic is really gorgeous. :)

weefoal 08-04-2011 06:14 PM

Thanks so much! But hes a Shetland Pony. We breed both miniatures, shetlands and shetland/miniature crosses. I know its confusing! LOL

oreotragus 08-04-2011 07:10 PM

Neat! :)