The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Frustrated... Lower leg moving. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/frustrated-lower-leg-moving-93259/)

manca 07-27-2011 03:15 PM

Frustrated... Lower leg moving.

My lower leg dances the whole time I ride. I can't get it still for more than 5 strides + I have to try multiple times to find out which muscles to use. And when I know I try to use the same muscles again, but it doesn't work. :-x
I'm going to see a trainer in two weeks.

But then there is my cousin. She gets to ride few times a year-when she's here on holidays. She was never to riding school, I taught her to ride. She can trot nicely and is now working on cantering.
Well, she has perfectly still leg. It only starts to move in canter when she's stopping a horse.

Why is so simple for her and why I just can't get my leg still?

I was able do to it 3 years ago when I was still riding under trainer's supervision, but now I'm on my own for so long and I don't know how to do it anymore.

PaintLover17 07-28-2011 01:48 AM

I had that problem too. I've started to get the hang of it again, but it takes a lot of practice to re-teach your muscles. Basically what I did (which is what my instructor told me) was sorta tighten your leg muscles. Not so much that you become stiff, but enough to keep your leg steady. At first it'll hurt and you won't be able to hold it for more than a few strides, but eventually you'll build up the muscles in your legs and will be able to hold it constantly without really even thinking about it. Be prepared to be really sore the first few times though!
Posted via Mobile Device

manca 07-28-2011 05:27 AM

Hard work waiting for me :P Again...

How long did it take you to fix that problem?

Arksly 07-28-2011 05:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know how you feel! I've been riding for 8 1/2 years and I still have issues with my lower leg sometimes. I find that it usually happens when I grip with my knees. Another thing I've found that helps is moving my stirrup a little further back and keeping my toes pointed as straight as possible.

So instead of having the stirrup at the red line I'd put it to the green line. It feels really weird at first but I found it helped.

manca 07-28-2011 06:09 AM

I don't grip with knees, they are too open :P I'm working on that too.

But I noticed that my cousin has stirrup more where the green line is, so this actually should help. Thanks :)

Arksly 07-28-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manca (Post 1114616)
I don't grip with knees, they are too open :P I'm working on that too.

But I noticed that my cousin has stirrup more where the green line is, so this actually should help. Thanks :)

Another tip is to sit up tall in the saddle and "open" your hips. I found that when my trainer moved my stirrup back it did this almost automatically. It pretty much makes sitting properly the most comfortable. Or so I found. It did make my hips sore the first few times.

I found that it felt like my legs were moving in the canter (different than before but still moving) and my trainer said that it was just me moving with the horse.

PaintLover17 07-28-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manca (Post 1114606)
Hard work waiting for me :P Again...

How long did it take you to fix that problem?

After about a month of riding a least 4 times a week it was fairly easy for me, but even now 2 months later if I get distracted my legs start flopping all over the place again.
Posted via Mobile Device