The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   KHP is listing their new "rare" white TB (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/khp-listing-their-new-rare-white-93267/)

LuvMyPerlinoQH 07-27-2011 04:22 PM

KHP is listing their new "rare" white TB
 
I thought there was no true white there was a grat that turned white I personally think he is a double dilute of some sort his coat carries that pearl gleam that my colt has in the sun plus the pink skin what do you all think.

Personally I hate the term rare..and cant understand why they listed him as such.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v​=U1vhQST2UlM

farmpony84 07-27-2011 04:32 PM

I can't see the video from here. I'll have to pull it up when I get home. There is such a thing as a true white, it's not common:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_(horse)

White horses are born white and stay white throughout their life. White horses may have brown, blue, or hazel eyes. "True white" horses, especially those that carry one of the dominant white (W) genes, are rare. Most horses that are commonly referred to as "white" are actually "gray" horses whose hair coats are completely white.[1]

bubba13 07-27-2011 04:34 PM

Video link does not work, but I found this: Video: Rare White Thoroughbred Arrives at KHP | discoverhorses.com

Yes, white (dominant white) is a real color. Sometimes it produces a pure white horse with dark eyes, and sometimes the horse looks more like a pinto/sabino. There are many different DW genes. All are lethal in the homozygous form, similar to OLWS.

LuvMyPerlinoQH 07-27-2011 04:36 PM

Ha learn something new everyday :)

smrobs 07-27-2011 04:37 PM

There is no "white" gene persay so there are truly no "white" horses. What there are is pinto horses with maximum expressed white markings. Other than that, the closest you can get to "white" is cremello.

farmpony84 07-27-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1113928)
Video link does not work, but I found this: Video: Rare White Thoroughbred Arrives at KHP | discoverhorses.com

Yes, white (dominant white) is a real color. Sometimes it produces a pure white horse with dark eyes, and sometimes the horse looks more like a pinto/sabino. There are many different DW genes. All are lethal in the homozygous form, similar to OLWS.

And if a horse tests positive for the homozygous gene that means that it will produce a lethal white?

LuvMyPerlinoQH 07-27-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1113938)
There is no "white" gene persay so there are truly no "white" horses. What there are is pinto horses with maximum expressed white markings. Other than that, the closest you can get to "white" is cremello.

I googled it and apparently there is is just very rare(I hate using that word)

bubba13 07-27-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 1113941)
And if a horse tests positive for the homozygous gene that means that it will produce a lethal white?

If you breed a white horse to a non-white horse you have a 50% chance of a healthy white foal and a 50% chance of a healthy, non-white foal.

If you breed a white horse to another white horse, you run a 25% chance of a healthy, non-white foal, a 50% chance of a healthy, white foal, and a 25% chance of a lethal foal. Though in the case of dominant white, as opposed OLWS, I think the lethal form more frequently ends in abortion and late-term pregnancy termination rather than a live birth which soon dies.

Quixotic 07-27-2011 05:31 PM

Dominant White is mapped onto the KIT gene, which is the same gene where Roan & Tobiano are found. I believe they've currently identified 11 different varieties of Dominant White. Many horses (especially Arabs & Thoroughbreds) who were believed to be maximum Sabino have since been identified as Dominant White.

alforddm 07-27-2011 07:40 PM

Homozygous DW horses are terminated very early in the pregnancy. The mare can generally be rebred the same year.

I think the current count of DW mutations is up to 12. There was one discovered several months ago in a foal that carried a new spontaneous DW mutation. Unfortunately the foal didn't live long a few weeks I think. The researchers believed the new DW mutation he carried was the cause of his death. There may have been more discovered since then but if so I'm not aware of them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0