The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Tacking up problems! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/tacking-up-problems-93359/)

snunn1438 07-28-2011 01:29 PM

Tacking up problems!

I can tack my mare up fine but once she's got her tack on she gets all worked up thinking she's going to be raced again!
Is there anything i can do to help with her anxiety/nervous behaiour?
She has been ridden 3 times since being raced at the place i got her from, where i used to work, i witnessed both riding sessions and she was fine until the leg was put on and was asked to move on then she bucked until the rider jumped off!
She has had a lot of ground work done with her since and so i was wondering how to go about re-backing her?
She has been vet checked for kissing spine and had her teeth checked and had a complete once over and all is well, she's just naughty!
Any suggestions welcome!
Stacey

Alwaysbehind 07-28-2011 01:32 PM

How long has she been off the track?

snunn1438 07-28-2011 01:38 PM

18 months, she's 6 now!

Alwaysbehind 07-28-2011 01:54 PM

Have you tried tacking her up and then doing your lunging/ground work exercises?

ErikaLynn 07-28-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snunn1438 (Post 1115023)
She has been ridden 3 times since being raced at the place i got her from, where i used to work, i witnessed both riding sessions and she was fine until the leg was put on and was asked to move on then she bucked until the rider jumped off!

This maybe the problem. She knows if she acts up the rider will get off and she doesn't have to work anymore.

If I were you, I don't know if this is a smart idea, but I would just keep riding her. Ride through the bucking and just trot her around for a while, loosen her up, and try and get her to relax. I would definitly have someone on the ground to help out also.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that...you should lunge her with tack on and let her get her bucks and sillies out, then get on.

If you plan to ride her, do not get off is she acts up. Just try and ride through it. If she throws a bucking fit and you get too nervous just walk and get her mind off of it by doing circles walking over ground poles. Then when you feel ready go back to what you are doing.

Good luck!

Equilove 07-28-2011 02:53 PM

Is that her in your avatar? Stunning!

I agree with ErikaLynn to an extent - once you rule out that there isn't a pain issue causing her to buck, ride her through her fits. If you don't have a good enough seat to do that, grab someone with lots of experience and a solid seat that won't "cowboy" her and get them up. Sometimes riding through their explosions gets them to realize they still have to work and they'll stop altogether.

nicole25 07-28-2011 04:25 PM

If you continue to get off of her when she acts up she will continue to think that it is okay for her to act that way. Lots of ground work and circles should help along with lunge work.

pinkyshot 07-28-2011 04:36 PM

All I can think of is maybe just tack her and not ride so she learns not to anticipate going out riding with getting tacked all the time....just like tack her for a couple minutes than take it off...than do it again than take it off...soon she will hopefully realize not to get all excited about being tacked up...lets her know she wont be going out riding every time....from all the stuff I read about horses off the track is sometimes you have to redo basics...just like you would a horse new to the saddle...you wouldnt just put a saddle on and jump up there...you let them get used to the saddle with out you in it first