The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Is He Black, Bay, or Black bay??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/he-black-bay-black-bay-93372/)

Cinnys Whinny 07-28-2011 04:39 PM

Is He Black, Bay, or Black bay???

3 Attachment(s)
I've always wondered EXACTLY what Cinny is. His previous owner told me he was homozygous black, but I have learned that a lot of horse owners around here don't know a lot about colors, etc., including this person.

In the winter he is pitch black. The deepest black you could ever believe. He stays black most of spring but by the end of summer is more like a dark to light bay depending on how much turnout he's had and/or Black As Knight supplement. I thought if I posted some pics and a copy of his genetics the people who know more would know.

Another question I have is that his registration still has his 1 week old foal pic so I am thinking of sending APHA an update. Would it be best to send in Black Cinny, or faded Cinny in your opinion?

Here is his breeding. It doesn't say what his mom (Poteets Taffy Gun) is but she is owned by a friend and I know that Taffy is a Sorrel
Attachment 71027

Winter
Attachment 71028

Summer
Attachment 71029

Cinnys Whinny 07-28-2011 07:23 PM

I'm thinking after the BAB thread, he might be Bad Ass Brown too.....

Domino13011 07-28-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 1115396)
I'm thinking after the BAB thread, he might be Bad Ass Brown too.....

Haha I was just gonna say he might be a BAB..That would be my guess..But then again I'm no color expert:lol:

Cinnys Whinny 07-28-2011 08:01 PM

I don't know, is it even possible to get a brown from a Sorrel/Black crossing? I'm thinking I remember from somewhere that it's not.

alforddm 07-28-2011 08:44 PM

He could be brown but I bed he's faded black. Most browns (there are exceptions) will have some brown on the nose or flank.

Here's a thread with a horse, very similar in color, who tested black.

Black-ish mare | Equine Color Genetics

Cinnys Whinny 07-29-2011 01:07 PM

bumpity bump bump

Equilove 07-29-2011 01:13 PM

He looks like a liver chestnut (which I think is basically brown?) but I think he has to have that mealy brown on his nose in the winter to be considered brown? From his winter coat I would say he's black. GORGEOUS by the way!

ETA: Sun-faded blacks don't usually look like that, do they? His legs still look brown, and I thought that even the most sun-faded horses stay black toward the bottom of their legs...?

alforddm 07-29-2011 01:24 PM

:-)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 1115435)
I don't know, is it even possible to get a brown from a Sorrel/Black crossing? I'm thinking I remember from somewhere that it's not.

It is possible to get a brown from a black x chestnut. It just needs the foal to get an E from the black parent and At from the chestnut.

bubba13 07-29-2011 08:22 PM

Well, for one thing, with a sorrel dam he sure isn't homozygous black!
He quite honestly looks like "none of the above" to me. He doesn't sunfade like a typical black, nor does he have the red/fawn points you usually see on a brown. Then again, your photos aren't the clearest, so...

haviris 07-29-2011 09:42 PM

Black, he's fading in the summer.