The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   How to swing a rope : ) (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/how-swing-rope-93410/)

AQHA 07-28-2011 10:06 PM

How to swing a rope : )

could somebody please give me step by step hand/wrist motions to swing a rope in my right hand. directions please!!!! where should my elbow be located?

lol for ex. should it be counter clockwise palm forward knuckles pointing up, then palm forward knuckles pointing left, then palm up knuckles back, then palm up knuckles pointing back, then palm up knuckles point right, then starting position again???

also, after the rope is coiled it's 100% ready to swing right? no flipping anything or something?

Gidget 07-29-2011 02:12 AM

Hey,my husband(Poniboy is his name on here) is going to give you step by step instructions on how to swing the rope and position. He's pretty good!

smrobs 07-29-2011 02:37 AM

Whew, that's something that is hard to explain via written word LOL.

Here is a video showing some of the basics but roping is such a technical thing that you really will eventually need someone there with you to point out the finer things in your position, swing, and release. Depending on what kind of roping you are wanting to do, you might look around for team roping clinics in your area (or just go hang around ropings and ask around for anyone willing to teach you). Oh, and one thing this guy is doing that you want to make sure and avoid is dropping your elbow. Try to keep it up about even with your shoulder.

Gidget 07-29-2011 03:09 AM

lol,oops..I meant to put instuctional video.but thanks smrobs!

AQHA 07-29-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 1115811)
Hey,my husband(Poniboy is his name on here) is going to give you step by step instructions on how to swing the rope and position. He's pretty good!

that would be so GREAT thanks... id just like to get the hand motion so i can at least sort of swing a rope before getting help.

AQHA 07-29-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1115822)
Whew, that's something that is hard to explain via written word LOL.

Here is a video showing some of the basics but roping is such a technical thing that you really will eventually need someone there with you to point out the finer things in your position, swing, and release. Depending on what kind of roping you are wanting to do, you might look around for team roping clinics in your area (or just go hang around ropings and ask around for anyone willing to teach you). Oh, and one thing this guy is doing that you want to make sure and avoid is dropping your elbow. Try to keep it up about even with your shoulder.

‪07 Intro to Roping‬‏ - YouTube

Thanks - good tip too about the elbows.

PoniBoy 07-30-2011 12:21 AM

I will show you a vid tomorrow

RiverRat77 10-11-2011 01:41 PM

LOL.... I keep going back to that guys videos to get my wrist and arm moving right. I'm also left handed so I have to keep thinking opposite of most everything I can find on the internet.

kevinshorses 10-11-2011 01:54 PM

If you're just learning to rope you would be better off learning to rope right handed. Most people that you rope with will be rightys and it will be easier for you both. It's going to feel awkward anyway so you may as well learn "right".

I like a video made by Joe Wolter called "There's roping to do". It is mostly geared to ranch roping but a lot of the principles are the same.

RiverRat77 10-11-2011 01:57 PM

I was gonna ask, and this may be a totally different thread but are there many folks that rope left handed? Can this be done in a competition setting? Ok, yeah, I have a bunch of questions... I'll start another topic so this doesn't get hijacked.