The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   western saddle fitting over withers ,under weight horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-saddle-fitting-over-withers-under-93458/)

chadrodeo05 07-29-2011 01:31 PM

western saddle fitting over withers ,under weight horse

HI thanks for looking.We got a Tb/Qtr horse cross 2 months ago,that still needs about 150 more pounds.We have to use 2 saddle pads and withers still are close to pummel.The first pad is cut bach so its not on withers .Are there western saddle pads that can help raise it up more and to only use 1.It is so hot, we don;t ride him long at a time.He sweats very easy.Is this a tb thing to sweat alot?

aspin231 07-29-2011 01:49 PM

Why not wait until he is up to normal weight before riding him? His system is already under stress from trying to recover (probably why he's sweating so much).

DraftyAiresMum 07-29-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadrodeo05 (Post 1116347)
HI thanks for looking.We got a Tb/Qtr horse cross 2 months ago,that still needs about 150 more pounds.We have to use 2 saddle pads and withers still are close to pummel.The first pad is cut bach so its not on withers .Are there western saddle pads that can help raise it up more and to only use 1.It is so hot, we don;t ride him long at a time.He sweats very easy.Is this a tb thing to sweat alot?

Honestly, if he's that far underweight, I wouldn't be riding him at all, but that's just me.

Different horses sweat differently. My old arab/saddlebred gelding would start to sweat just thinking about work. lol My percheron/paint gelding has to run for a good 20-30 minutes with a saddle on in order to work up a sweat and even then it usually isn't that much of a sweat. I used to work with two TBs, a mare and a gelding. The gelding didn't sweat all that much, but the mare would be sweating after just ten minutes of lunging at an easy canter...which was odd considering the gelding was a DARK bay (almost black) and the mare was a chestnut, so you'd think the lighter-colored horse would sweat less.

ShinaKonga 07-29-2011 05:15 PM

I had the same problem with my TB Paint cross- he has high withers and was quite underweight. Since he was underweight I never rode him hard- I did maybe ten to fifteen minutes in the round ring every few days to keep him remembering his job, so to speak. I never did enough to make him sweat- but he doesn't sweat that much to begin with, to answer your other question.
For the saddle? Wait until your horse is up to weight. Get one that fits then- its quite a search to find a western saddle that will fit, but well worth it. IMO you shouldn't be getting a saddle you have to pad down as much as you do now.

chadrodeo05 07-29-2011 05:25 PM

what is IMO

Equilove 07-29-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadrodeo05 (Post 1116656)
what is IMO

"In my opinion"

And in my opinion, a horse so severely underweight should not be ridden. It will cause them a lot of physical stress. Give them some time to bulk up.

chadrodeo05 07-29-2011 05:54 PM

Thank for all the responses.He is only ridden about 15 min 1-3 times a wk.He sweats in the pasture when the mare is not.I'm gonna get a vet to check him out thoroughly.He did have a bad case of worms,and has been wormed.

Equilove 07-29-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadrodeo05 (Post 1116712)
Thank for all the responses.He is only ridden about 15 min 1-3 times a wk.He sweats in the pasture when the mare is not.I'm gonna get a vet to check him out thoroughly.He did have a bad case of worms,and has been wormed.

Aw poor baby. Worms take a toll, for sure.

Keep in mind that if you choose to ride him, the way the saddle fits him now will not be the same as it does in a month, assuming he gains weight.

chadrodeo05 07-29-2011 10:18 PM

What were you doing to that baby in the pic.Yeah we wormed as soon as we rescued him he seem to be putting on weight 150 so far.abot 150 more

chadrodeo05 07-29-2011 10:23 PM

have you had a hard time keeping weight on the tb?I see most ever one owns tb have a hard time keeping weight on them