The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Would my mare be able to have a foal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/would-my-mare-able-have-foal-93459/)

MangoRoX87 07-29-2011 02:35 PM

Would my mare be able to have a foal?

My mare is 20 now. Before you jump on me about breeding random horses yada yada yada, I know better than to just breed a horse to do it.
*Rosie has a great Foundation bred pedigree. YES she is registered. AQHA and NFQHR.
*She has proven herself countless times, she's been to the AQHA World show before.
*She has had 2-3 foals in the past, last one when she was about 14.
*She is in amazing shape for her age. She gets riden 2-4 times a week, doing barrels and fast equestrain drills.
*She's been kept in good shape her whole life (other than a few mishaps that caused her to have to be pastured for 6 months...she was pretty dang fat lol)
*She has no signs of arthritis or any joint problems.
*She has amazing feet.
*She has very sane. She's never acted like a mare (other than talking dirty to a stud once), she's never kicked or bitten, she keeps her head together when it's time to work, and is pretty much bombproof.
*Rosie's only conformational issue is her head. It's just wayyyy to big for her dang body! I'm not really big in the halter showing at my shows as it is, and that never bothered me tooo much. Of course, I wouldn't want a foal to have her face, at all, but all of her babies had normal sized heads LOL

Do you think she would be able to still have a foal in the next couple years?
If you don't think so, pleeease by all means to do not jump on my case. I know of a lot of broodmares almost in their 30's and still in amazing shape.
I'm not going to jump on the first QH stud I see, I'm looking around for the best in my price range.

Alwaysbehind 07-29-2011 02:49 PM

Being a maiden mare at 20 is probably not in the best interest of your mare.

If this is something you are seriously considering you should contact your vet and ask for a full breeding exam so you and your vet can determine your mares breeding soundness.

MangoRoX87 07-29-2011 02:54 PM

If you mean maiden by she has never had a foal, she has had 2-3. My friend forgot the number as she was young when Rosie had them.

NdAppy 07-29-2011 02:55 PM

AB, mare isn't a maiden. OP says that she had a few foals previously and she had the last foal when she was 14.

OP I agree with AB on getting a breeding soundness exam done. You should do so before you do any serious looking or planning.

MangoRoX87 07-29-2011 03:02 PM

I am deffinately going to, whenever I have the money to do so. Right now, with the hay shortage and all, its a do what you have to kind of thing with money. Hopefully next year I will be able to look a little more seriously into it, I was just wondering what your guy's opinions would be. :)

gigem88 07-29-2011 03:17 PM

I'm sure she'd be able to, but would YOU want to have a baby at an advanced age?? I know I wouldn't!! I was in my 30's with my last child and it was TOUGH; therefore, I wouldn't ask that of my horse! That's just me, though.

Alwaysbehind 07-29-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1116396)
If you mean maiden by she has never had a foal, she has had 2-3. My friend forgot the number as she was young when Rosie had them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1116399)
AB, mare isn't a maiden. OP says that she had a few foals previously and she had the last foal when she was 14.

Ooops, sorry.
Read the OP twice and missed that line both times. I was even looking for just that.
:oops:

Need more tea, obviously.

ilovemyPhillip 07-29-2011 04:06 PM

I would have a breeding soundness exam done.. Soon. 20 is getting old for a mare to foal.

themacpack 07-29-2011 04:26 PM

There is a difference between "can" and "should".........

smrobs 07-29-2011 05:34 PM

She's 20 right now but by the time you are financially able to breed her, she'll be 21. Personally, I wouldn't even consider it just because that is getting to an age where it will be difficult for her to carry since she hasn't had one in quite some time. IMHO, there is just too much risk to a good mare.