The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Need opinions on personal problem! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/need-opinions-personal-problem-93473/)

Soberanaforever 07-29-2011 05:41 PM

Need opinions on personal problem!

Hey!
I own a paso Fino mare that i ride at the paso gait (corto and largo), i was just at a riding camp and i am in LOVE With jumping... Im just wondering if i should stop the paso gait for jumping With her. I am not going to sell her because i have a vett strong Bond With her. It may not seem like a very big situation to many but to me it is, heres why: i boars at ā paso Fino farm, and My paso Fino won nationals so people might think differently of My by letting her jump, i take lessons, My riding teacher likes and trains her. So yeah, i might sound insecure but i just want your help and YOUR opinions, like urbröt were in the situation, what would you do? Thanks!!! :-)

churumbeque 07-29-2011 06:40 PM

If you want a jumping horse go get one that can do it. A paso is not a jumping horse it is a gaiting horse. Why try to make something into something it isn't?

ShinaKonga 07-29-2011 06:50 PM

Why do the opinions of others determine what YOU do with YOUR horse?

Cacowgirl 07-29-2011 10:44 PM

My little Paso Fino loves to jump! That's her in the pic!

Soberanaforever 07-30-2011 09:46 AM

Churumbeque: pasos can jump and thats a fact thank you very much. I have a very strong Bond With her and can have only one horse and selling her is NOT an option. But thanks anyways :)

Shinakonga: i Wanted help With deciding. I Wanted to hear others opinions to make it Easier to decide.

Cacowgirl: thank you :) if it were your decision is that what you would do?

Brighteyes 07-30-2011 10:02 AM

I don't think "gaiting horse" and "jumping horse" are mutually exclusive.

Gaited horses can jump just as well as any other "non-jumping" breed. Whether they make terrible/good/excellent jumping horses is all about the training that goes into their jumping and their ability, not their breed or gait. :wink:

I gait my horse up to jumps sometimes. She very well can jump from a gait, but it isn't in good form and I wouldn't do it approching a high or difficult fence.

I taught her to trot. It's pretty easy to do. Even the most lateral horse will pick up a trot over poles. It's all about having a clear trot cue versus gait cue when you take the poles away. (I go into two point and encourage her to lower her head and round her back.) Sometimes my horse will gait to the first jump, get the memo, and then trot the rest. They'll do what's comfortable.

You can also canter jumps. Gaited horses can canter. I don't know if yours does; some people don't teach them. I know some people don't have rackers canter; I don't know anything about paso training standards.

In my experience, gaited horses are just as athletic and able to do performance events as any. I wish I had some video of my mare jumping a little course. She looks just like a green jumper. Not a gaited green jumper, but just a green jumper. :wink:

ShinaKonga 07-30-2011 02:39 PM

I don't mean asking on the forum. I'm asking why it matters that your instructor likes your horse, or why it matters that you board at a Paso Fino facility. If its what you really want to do, go for it- and don't worry about the guff.

Soberanaforever 07-30-2011 04:24 PM

Brighteyes: thank you sooo much!!! That helped me ā LOT!

Shinakonga: ok thanks i know i shouldnt but whatever, thanks ;)

Celeste 07-30-2011 06:58 PM

All sound horses can canter and jump. I can't imagine anything more fun that a smooth riding paso fino going into a canter and over a jump. Sounds like loads of fun to me. He can still do his gaits. I rode a Tennessee Walking Horse at a canter and over jumps when I was a kid. It wasn't the stuff shows are made of, but it was fun.

bubbleslove 07-30-2011 10:01 PM

I've seen this young lady's posts on other forums, she has a gaited paso fino stallion - she's done all sorts of disciplines with him, but it looks like lately she's been training with the goal of doing 3 day eventing (I think?). Funny how her video popped up on my youtube as a suggested video to watch! Fast forward to about 1:46 to see the jumping she does with him. There's other videos on her channel, I'm sure you could find more than just pics if you browsed for a bit.

‪ashleyandamber926's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

I wouldn't hesitate to jump my paso, if it weren't for our sizes. I just think that with her legs being as small-boned as they are, I wouldn't want her jumping with anyone other than a small child. If she was a little more solid, like another paso fino I used to ride, we'd be doing that now. So fun!