Suppelments - what is everyone using?
Just out of curiosity, on average, how many supplements do people use in their barn.
1. How many horses do you have on supplements?
2. What are your favourite supplements?
3. What do you most commonly supplement for?
4. Where is the cheapest place you've found to get your supplement? (online, in store, direct?)
Almost everybody at my barn uses Purina Strategy, or Senior for their horses. Cinny gets Strategy, but I have to be very careful with it, I've noticed that he will "heat up" pretty bad if I give him too much. He also gets "black as knight" which is a coat supplement to help him stay dark in the summer.
I like Smartpak to be honest. They are fabulous to work with, easy to talk to and to get advice from and I like the fact that they don't push their poducts on you. You explain and describe your horses situation, and they make suggestions, while allowing you to make the final decision.
At the time I put him on this compilation of SmartPak supplements, we were in a particular situation that called for their aid...
Now that we are in a totally different situation, I was able to take him off of that grouping. Then, a new situation arose, and I now have him on a different selection of supplements...
- Magnesium, 5,0000
- Vitamin E & Selenium
- B-L Solution Pellets
I also like SmartPak supplements. I second MIEventers statement that the customer service at SmartPak are exreatmly helpful, supportive, and don't push thier products. In fact, the rep that I was talking to evaluated my situation asked specific questions of what my vet diagnosed and recommended then suggested a simple supplement that I could get at my local feed store as well as 2 of the SmartPak supplements. I could have gotten the simple supplement from them online, but it was always mixed with other things that my horse didn't need, and the rep made a point of telling me so that I could save a little money. As MIEventer also stated, this was for a specific circumstance.
My everyday, all around supplement is EquiPride. It is like a daily vitamin for all the horses internal functions and a conditioner for skin and coat, plus minerals for healthy hooves... great product! All of my horses get this supplement everyday, currently 4 horses. I can get it at my vet tax free for $45 for a bucket, lasts just short of a month.
I give flax to both my horses, but other people at the barn they all use Smartpak. They use the Grand Coat, (works really well) the Senior supplement, and then someone else uses Farriers Formula. All those supplements work very well on the horses!
1. How many horses do you have on supplements? of my two horses, only one is given any supplements
2. What are your favourite supplements? idk about favorite but Jager gets MSM, Glucosamine, electrolytes, ProBios and U-Gard
3. What do you most commonly supplement for? well... general health obviously. Jager is 16 this year and being a TB is a bit of a hard keeper so anything to keep his weight on and his joints happy is worth it to me
4. Where is the cheapest place you've found to get your supplement? (online, in store, direct?) i buy all of my supplements online at either country supply or smartpak equine.
We have two horses:
Epona (fat Belgian draft mare, age 9):
She gets no grain due to fatness.
She gets Platform Hoof to help with the extra nutrients needed to grow hooves the size of dinner plates.
And an easy keeper SmartVIte supplement from SmartPak since our hay quality varies and she gets no vitamins from grain as she is too fat to have grain.
Beauseant (OTTB 6 yr. old gelding):
He gets 3 lbs of Strategy once a day, so we do not supplement him with a multi vitamin like Epona gets.
SmartDigest, a probiotic supplement to help him utilize the vitamins in his grain and to keep his digestive system running smoothly
Cinny's Black as knight comes via SmartPak. I used to also have him on MSM, and some hoof stuff too but now it's just BAK and I also forgot he gets SmartCalm because he has occasional unexplained freakouts to the point that our BO puts him in the turnout overnight for fear he will hurt himself.... but that hasn't happened since he started the SmartCalm.
1. How many horses do you have on supplements?
I just have one horse, and he's on two supplements; vet flex and cool calories
2. What are your favourite supplements? Probably Flex Force. Its cheap and it works, even though I don't use it anymore
3. What do you most commonly supplement for? joints
4. Where is the cheapest place you've found to get your supplement? Smartpak.
We also have Nick at the barn who, although I don't know how many supplements he is on exactly (I think maybe 4) he has like 7 cells from Smartpak. Cha Cha gets two supplements, SmartGut and I think something for her coat, Mo gets vet flex (used to also get SmartPaks, but he discontinued, I think it was just a senior supplement) aaaand I think thats it? Oh and Ty gets a home mix of garlic powder and electrolytes.
We have both on electrolytes and corn oil. Red gets weight builder and Epsom salt (at pm when no electrolytes are given). Red was on flex wafers, the vet said they aren't worth the package they're done up in, straight msm would do him more good, so he shall go on that now. Both eat nutrena compete and alfalfa pellets.
Posted via Mobile Device
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0