The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Has anyone else noticed stirrups are uneven? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/has-anyone-else-noticed-stirrups-uneven-93553/)

Pistol Babe 07-30-2011 02:38 PM

Has anyone else noticed stirrups are uneven?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that the stirrups on western saddles are uneven? I have rode in many western saddles and have noticed one stirrup is always longer than the other, no matter if the are adjusted to the same hole on each side. It is never significant, only slight... Like, maybe 1/2"-1".. And a few friends have noticed this too. Is there a reason for this?

bsms 07-30-2011 02:40 PM

Doesn't happen on my saddle.

Jumpehunter 07-30-2011 02:58 PM

oh my gosh yes!!! i love riding western its my first love. But i have this saddle where the holes are like inches off from each other and they are horribly spaced like one is 1 inch from the next pair and then theres 4 inches in between some! irritation to the max :-|

Macslady 07-30-2011 03:28 PM

When you always mount from the same side the leather lengthens from the full body weight on that stirrup. If you want them even switch off mounting sides.

Allison Finch 07-30-2011 04:09 PM

Nice thing about English saddles is we can swap out leathers to stretch both sides evenly.

DejaVu 07-30-2011 04:40 PM

Mounting properly can fix this.

I never thought about it, until I trained with this one die hard dressage clinician who raves about proper mounting. You should not put any weight in that left stirrup. You should be pushing off with the right foot, and with one hand on the mane, lightly boost yourself up. Takes a little practice, but it's not too hard.

Since then, I have bought a new western saddle, and the leathers have stayed perfectly even.

Poseidon 07-30-2011 05:02 PM

Have you also have your hips look at by a chiropractor? My mom has wonky hips and at times, one of her legs has been over an inch shorter than the other. That would make stirrups feel considerably different lengths.

bsms 07-30-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1117736)
...You should not put any weight in that left stirrup. You should be pushing off with the right foot, and with one hand on the mane, lightly boost yourself up. Takes a little practice, but it's not too hard...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

No weight in the stirrup? Not happening! No way, no how will "pushing off with the right foot" get my crotch 5 1/2 feet in the air and ready for my right leg to go over the horse's back!

If I could jump like that, I'd be in the NBA making big bucks instead of a fat retired guy with a flighty Arabian mare who seems, from the price of hay, to eat diced dollar bills.

Maybe if I bought a trampoline for a mounting block...then I could mount the horse and play Frisbee at the same time:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Dr6tS1-mXy...0/IMG_1496.JPG

smrobs 07-30-2011 05:33 PM

Most commonly it does come from mounting on one side all the time. Like others said, that left stirrup leather will stretch slightly from having that added weight on there. On the other hand, it could also be lik Po mentioned and you could need your back/hips adjusted. I know that when I am out of place, my stirrups start feeling like different lengths even when they really aren't

Pistol Babe 07-30-2011 06:54 PM

Well, I know I am not uneven lol Because when I ride in my english saddle, I don't have that problem. And I NEVER put a lot of weight in the stirrup when I mount. I just bounce to get momentum on my right leg and swing over pulling myself up with my hand that's on the mane. I'm a very petite person, so this isn't difficult for me lol But I have never bought a totally new saddle before, so maybe the people before me have stretched the leather? I guess I will try putting my weight in the stirrup mounting from the other side. Maybe that will balance it out.