The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Video-Dakota on the lunge line... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/video-dakota-lunge-line-93578/)

Julirs 07-30-2011 10:35 PM

Video-Dakota on the lunge line...

We have had Dakota (12 year old registered paint) on trial since Wed night-he took a few days to settle in, and now seems very much at home. I rode him for the first time today. He is a bit of a stubborn butthead, and I am quite the beginner but I am working under a trainer. I want to use him for lower level dressage. Pros: He is built nicely uphill, he is smooth, he has decent manners, his price is very right, and he is quite the looker. Cons: He is a bit toed out, needs some hoof work, and he is a bit stubborn-maybe too stubborn for me. It is only day one of riding, and I was a tad nervous since I am not as familiar with him as my 19 year old lesson horse. Tomorrow my trainer is going to ride him and then I am going to ride him, so we can continue to see if this may be the horse for me. He will have a full PPE before I purchase him. Here is a video-let me know if you see anything.

tinyliny 07-30-2011 11:00 PM

I am not sure what you are looking for, in the way of a critique. There isn't a lot to go from there, but from what I can see, I really like this horse. He moves quite nicely. Not extravagant, but very even. He strikes me as being really healthy and without any obvious stiffnesses or unevennesses. I get a really good feeling from him. He seemed to be listening to your pretty well. When your body energy came down, so did his. Remembe this when you lunge. If you want his energy to go up, bring up your own, and conversely.

Love his coloring too. I think he is a winner.

Julirs 07-31-2011 11:40 AM

That would be my trainer lunging him-she has 40+ years of experience so she makes everything look easy! Thanks for the comments. We shall see how today goes.

ScharmLily 07-31-2011 10:06 PM

Without going into a long response, I just want to say one thing.... Attitude really is everything. You can have the most athletic horse and not have any fun if your horse isn't working with you. (I know, and my mean horse story ended with a broken ankle after the horse reared and fell over backward while trying to get me off.) Not saying your case is this extreme, and I don't want to scare you, but remember that having a horse is supposed to be fun-they are way to expensive for it to be otherwise ;) Conversely, if you have a good, willing horse that really tries for you, you will have much more fun and will surpass a talented but unwilling horse. What it all really comes down to is asking yourself this question- "Will you be happy every time you come to see this horse, no matter if your trainer is there or not?"

And I just want to add that after the one incidence with the mean horse, I got a lot better at picking willing horses (I was just a kid and thought every animal was inherently good). I can honestly tell you that I am a lot happier now :)

Julirs 07-31-2011 10:20 PM

ScharmLily-I firmly believe in everything you are saying. We went to ride a 13 YO QH today that has been a lesson horse but unfortunately it started storming before I could get some more time in. He seemed quite willing so far. We are going back Tuesday to do a little more research. Dakota is far from mean, and not scary-it is just that we are unsure of his background. He very well may have hardly been ridden for the past year and may have the retirement attitude going on. The worst things he is doing is tossing his head when we ask him to trot and he stepped out of the ring once. The big problem here is that both he and I are in need of training! My trainer had to give him a way to go to get him going to. Today he was a lot more willing to walk on and give me some movement, but he cannot take me seriously at all when I ask him to trot because I am still quite unsure of trotting and need to get a lot better in my balance. This leaves us with trying to understand if he just needs some tuning up or if he will forever be a stubborn brat that will frustrate me and make me miserable. We have only had him for 4 full days, and he has been moved twice this month so I am sure he is a little less than sure of the routine. I may end up keeping him on trial for at least 2 weeks.

Julirs 08-01-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julirs (Post 1119236)
ScharmLily-I firmly believe in everything you are saying. We went to ride a 13 YO QH today that has been a lesson horse but unfortunately it started storming before I could get some more time in. He seemed quite willing so far. We are going back Tuesday to do a little more research. Dakota is far from mean, and not scary-it is just that we are unsure of his background. He very well may have hardly been ridden for the past year and may have the retirement attitude going on. The worst things he is doing is tossing his head when we ask him to trot and he stepped out of the ring once. The big problem here is that both he and I are in need of training! My trainer had to give him a way to go to get him going to. Today he was a lot more willing to walk on and give me some movement, but he cannot take me seriously at all when I ask him to trot because I am still quite unsure of trotting and need to get a lot better in my balance. This leaves us with trying to understand if he just needs some tuning up or if he will forever be a stubborn brat that will frustrate me and make me miserable. We have only had him for 4 full days, and he has been moved twice this month so I am sure he is a little less than sure of the routine. I may end up keeping him on trial for at least 2 weeks.

And...after talking to the former owner he has only been ridden every other week and only at a walk on trails. No wonder. Today I am going out to work on some repect and ground manners so he can start to understand that I really mean what I am asking of him.

Julirs 08-04-2011 06:38 PM

OK-I went out to ride a "school master" lesson horse and he was a horrid pain in the butt. He acted way older and grumpier than his 13 years. Dakota keeps improving daily, and even if he still tries to railroad my beginner butt he also takes care of me. he is not dangerous, no kick, bite, rear, or hop. He tosses his head occasionally when asked to trot, but this is getting less frequent. He has settled into the barn and grooms perfectly, picks his feet up with little asking. The farrier said his feet look fine. I am going to keep him on trial for one more week, and if all goes well, the vet will come out and as long as he passes he will be mine all mine. I am loving all of the hard work that comes with it, the reward of getting something right is indescribable! I must look like a smiling idiot on top of that horse!

Julirs 08-10-2011 05:21 PM

PPE tomorrow. Stressing out! He is doing so well and I am so attached. I just cannot take on Vet bills. I certainly hope all goes well!

equiniphile 08-10-2011 07:24 PM

Let us know how the vet check goes!

Julirs 08-11-2011 08:28 PM

He passed his PPE and is paid for and mine all mine! :) This horse has just come into the most spoiled and wonderful lifestyle a horse could ask for! PINCH ME! :)