The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help with extreme temperatures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-extreme-temperatures-93597/)

outnabout 07-31-2011 02:11 AM

Help with extreme temperatures

We are in an extreme drought with high temperatures in my area and I am very worried after having seen the forecast for the next few days:
Sun: 107, Mon: 109; Tues: 111; Wed: 109. This is considerably higher than normal. I have lived here in north Texas all my life and if we have temps of 102 or so that is considered very high, and it never lasts more than a couple of days. Anybody have any advice for caring for horses in these extreme high temps? I am especially worried about my colt.

My 16 yr. old mare gets turned out to pasture except for a.m. and p.m. feedings in her stall (since it is hot) and has water and shade available in pasture. She also gets electrolytes in her grain every a.m. feeding. Lately she goes to shaded areas directly after having been turned out, at 8 a.m. she and the others in her pasture are under the trees.

I have a new 5-mo. old colt who is mostly in his barn stall with fan. I take him out for a walk twice a day, teaching him to lead, and leave him out in the round pen or other area to hang out an hour or so in the early a.m. and/or evening.

What can I do to keep my horses healthy in this extreme heat?

bubba13 07-31-2011 02:27 AM

Cold-hose them occasionally, but be sure to scrape the excess water off (or immediately put them under a fan) if it is humid.

outnabout 07-31-2011 02:33 AM

I hose my mare off every few days... I suppose it will be every day now!
And maybe it is time to get the little one introduced to the hose! Glad I have a couple of days off now.

PaintHorseMares 07-31-2011 06:11 AM

Horses are not as fragile as many folks make them out to be. If they have water, forage, and shade, they'll be just fine. Just expect them to eat less, drink more, and spend most of the day just lazing around doing nothing. It's been unusually hot here this year, too (9 days over 100) and our biggest to-do everyday is putting sun block on our mares to keep the sun burn down. If possible, I would find a good shady spot outside for your colt..it would be healthier than being in a stall, even with a fan.

dee 07-31-2011 09:29 AM

This is a killer heat. Our horses are getting 24/7 hay and their regular feed, but they aren't eating much. Looks like they've even lost a little weight. That's a little worrisome, but the vet said they were fine and would regain it when it cools off and they feel more like eating. I have noticed that they eat more at night than during the day.

I hope you haven't had the same problem where you are that we're having here. I have an 80 hay field that is baled for us on shares. Last year our share was enough to last the entire winter and we still fed it until about a month ago. This year...we got 13 bales..total! Our share was only six bales, and we had to give four back to the guy that cut it because we'd borrowed four bales of last years already. What a mess!

Kymbadina 07-31-2011 11:12 AM

I hose and wipe my horse. But I talked to my farrier he said you can overhose them -_- it will make their hooves soft. We've gone from super wet to hot humid but dry ground so I don't want to go soft again. Now, I get a bucket of cool water, stand him in front of the big shop fan and dip my brush in the eternal to kinda of cool/wet brush him. That's in the evening though when. He comes in for the night.
Posted via Mobile Device

dee 07-31-2011 11:41 AM

Sorry, I should have said 80 ACRE hay field... Senior moment?

outnabout 07-31-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 1118447)
If possible, I would find a good shady spot outside for your colt..it would be healthier than being in a stall, even with a fan.

Yes, I thought about this last night. I will talk to my barn manager when I go out there again this evening about setting something up for him. It's time to set up a pen for him now anyway.

outnabout 07-31-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee (Post 1118512)
This is a killer heat. Our horses are getting 24/7 hay and their regular feed, but they aren't eating much

...I hope you haven't had the same problem where you are that we're having here. I have an 80 hay field that is baled for us on shares. Last year our share was enough to last the entire winter and we still fed it until about a month ago. This year...we got 13 bales..total! Our share was only six bales, and we had to give four back to the guy that cut it because we'd borrowed four bales of last years already. What a mess!

My mare doesn't need grain now, just give her a couple scoops in the a.m. so there is something to mix the electrolytes with. She doesn't always eat it all though since it has been so hot.

No kidding, the hay issue. Our BM is pulling a couple of trailers up somewhere out of state next week to load up 500 or so bales to get us through the winter. My local feed store got their last load from CA. They get calls almost every day from people wanting to buy out their coastal.

flytobecat 07-31-2011 02:51 PM

Plenty of shade, water, flymask, sunblock, electrolytes, and a good mineral block. My girls are used to the heat for the most part. My one mare will even stand out in the sun by choice.