The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Working your horse in different areas (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/working-your-horse-different-areas-93659/)

nyg052003 07-31-2011 06:32 PM

Working your horse in different areas

When I talked to the guy about the horse upon 1st seeing him, he told me the horse didn't have any problems. I rode the horse that day at his house and he rode fine. Now I know ofcourse like anything else, the horse has to get used to you, used to his new home, surroundings, and such. I have had him for about 2 wks. Tuesday will be 2 wks. I'm sure that horse knows that over here, he is getting better taken care of and fed well because the other people had 5 horse. From the first time I saw him at their place to the time I picked him up, he had lost some weight. Now he has the weight back on him in under 2 wks.

Anyway, I noticed first time I rode him here, he seemed to have barn sourness. I still managaed to ride him for a good 30 minutes around my area but he seemed he didnt want to go this particular direction. I think this guy has a stud horse up there. He starts whinning and smelling and seemed to be getting jumpy and nervous the closer he gets and doesn't want to go further. The guy also has a mare and a colt, and some other mare strange looking horse. Its about a mile if that, from me. My horse also yesterday , 2nd time riding him at my house, he seemed he didnt want to ride at all after first few minutes, maybe first 5 minutes. I'm gona get my dad over here today and we are gona check him out real good, making sure the saddle and bridle fits well enough and isnt causing problems. Everything looks fine to me though as far as that. He just seems stubborn and moreso yesterday.

If it turns out he needs more training, I will have to see about getting someone to come over here and work with me or take him there and let them work with hiim some. I have heard some say to work him in the area that he wants to be, and rest him in the places he doesn't want to be. What do they mean? I mean the places he doesnt want to be is going the direction thats up the street from my house. Yesterday he acted like he didnt want to ride at all with the exception of the first 5 minutes or so.

Any pointers?

tinyliny 07-31-2011 07:13 PM

What is meant by that is to work him near the barn, then offer to ride away from the barn and go as far as he is comfortable, then stop out there and let him rest, if he will accept it then take him back to the barn. and work more there. Dont' wait unti he takes you back to the barn, you make the turn back to the barn as YOUR decision. So, you might not be away from the barn for very long, but turn him back toward the barn before he loses it.

At the barn, work some more, circles, trotting, backing up, more circles and trotting, then turn away from the barn and repeat, going out in seveal different directions if possible.

Do a searh on the forum for "barn sour" to see what other threads have producesd.

Is your new horse alone? No horses near him , even in sight?

nyg052003 07-31-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1119036)
What is meant by that is to work him near the barn, then offer to ride away from the barn and go as far as he is comfortable, then stop out there and let him rest, if he will accept it then take him back to the barn. and work more there. Dont' wait unti he takes you back to the barn, you make the turn back to the barn as YOUR decision. So, you might not be away from the barn for very long, but turn him back toward the barn before he loses it.

At the barn, work some more, circles, trotting, backing up, more circles and trotting, then turn away from the barn and repeat, going out in seveal different directions if possible.

Do a searh on the forum for "barn sour" to see what other threads have producesd.

Is your new horse alone? No horses near him , even in sight?

none in sight but within a 1/4 of a mile, half a mile, and a mile so he can smell them. Do u mean just get off him and let him rest or stay mounted? It is right beside the road by the way, and it is a ditch there so might not be able to rest on side of the road, not sure. Have to see how wide that side of the road is. Also what about the putting his head down wanting to eat grass? Should I even let him eat grass as he rest?

nyg052003 07-31-2011 08:33 PM

also, when you work the horse should he be saddled and bridled the whole time say if you are lunging him? After you have ridden him to the point where he wants to go no further, should you come back to the barn and work him in saddle and bridle so immediatly after the workout you can jump right on while he is tired and ride him to see about making him go further , even if in a diff direction?