The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Brand of western saddle for narrow horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/brand-western-saddle-narrow-horse-93722/)

littrella 08-01-2011 07:14 AM

Brand of western saddle for narrow horse

Wonderiing if anybody has had any luck with one brand of saddle over another, for a narrow horses. Jack is up at the trainer, but we are having a horrible time finding a saddle for him. We have been using a kids pony saddle just to get him use to the feel, but that is not going to work for actually riding him. He is a quarter horse, but was severly neglected before I got him. He was permently stunted in growth. As a 3 year old, people just looking at him think he's a yearling. Having a custom made saddle is not an option, cost wise. Has anybody had any luck with finding a brand that is a smaller fit over others????

corinowalk 08-01-2011 07:48 AM

I've had a pretty hard time finding not custom that comes narrow enough for my TB. I've had some luck with Blue ridge saddles. I personally am using an Australian Saddle until I can afford something custom for my boy. Even an inexpensive Aussie can be custom made for a narrow horse.

Appyt 08-01-2011 02:20 PM

littrella,
I don't know of any specific brands, but I do have a pretty narrow tree'd saddle that I have not been able to use as my horses are not that narrow. If you are interested I would be happy to send you pics. It is a pretty thing too. Brand new. Has been placed on a horse to check fit, never ridden in.

caleybooth 08-01-2011 02:29 PM

Check around your local tack stores and pawn store. Look for a saddle with semi-quarter bars.

caleybooth 08-01-2011 02:31 PM

I found this online: The terms used in saddle tree sizing are explained in Richard Sherer's book on western saddles, and they deal with the distance between the bars, measured at the gullet. These widths may not be consistent between different saddle tree makers, but it gives you a starting place. The width of your horse's shoulder determines the type of tree and gullet width you will need. Regular quarter horse bars - gullet width: 5 3/4" Semi-quarter horse bars - gullet width: 6" Full-quarter horse bars - gullet width: 6 1/4"-6 1/2" Extra-wide quarter horse bars - gullet width: 6 3/4"-7" Arabian bars - gullet width: 6 1/4"-6 3/4" (has a flatter pitch than quarter horse bars) Source: Sherer, Richard L. Horseman's Handbook of Western Saddles. Sherer Custom Saddles, 1988.

caleybooth 08-01-2011 02:33 PM

I know I'm posting alot but also try craigslist in your area. I know in my area there's lots and lots of saddles for sale on there.

ponyjocky 08-02-2011 12:55 AM

A gaited abbeta saddle is the best western for narrow horses. I swear by it!