The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   How about us here? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/how-about-us-here-93769/)

HorseLoverHunter 08-01-2011 06:05 PM

How about us here?

9 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures from Bee and I's last lesson. What do you all think about us on the flat? Sorry that there blurry, they are video stills.

iridehorses 08-01-2011 06:08 PM

Why not show the actual video?

HorseLoverHunter 08-01-2011 06:12 PM

I like to show the pictures because the videos are really really shaky and they are hard to see. So I find the best in pictures I can.

ChingazMyBoy 08-01-2011 08:09 PM

I'll do the best I can and hopefully I can offer you some advice.

Firstly, if I was you - I'd tighten my reins just a little bit more, that way you have actual contact with the horses - without yanking on their mouths of course! With your hands, I noticed something - which I'm going to attempt to explain however I can't seem to get my words right. So if anyone wants to add onto this - it would be awesome!

It seems like your leaning slightly forwards, causing you to sit with your hands "in your lap'' so to speak? You want a nice line of bend in your elbows, you want to keep your hands in whats called the ''work area''. Personally, I use to struggle with this - so I would put my hands in the wither area and then draw an imaginary box around them (Theres an article about this somewhere which I will attempt to find for you!). When you bring your hands backwards, you begin to become unbalanced, and loose power over pushing the horse forwards through their hind legs.

It may also benifit you to raise your hands a tiny bit, to allow you to have solid hands - by this I mean the position, this does not mean to be yanking on the horses mouth, type thing.

tinyliny 08-01-2011 08:40 PM

As Chingas is saying, your hands are too low, with a real downward angle to your wrist. Put bend in the elbow, raise your hands, bring those thumbs back on top. Think of mentally attaching your hands to your core.

When you post, it's not just that your upper body comes up, but that more weight goes down through your ankle into your heel.

Maybe not to look so far into the turn, but that's me, (dressage vs hunter)

chevaliernr 08-02-2011 02:19 AM

Just to chime in on the hands, you have what people call "puppy-dog hands" or "piano hands," meaning you angle them with your palm facing down, as tiny said. You want to rotate outwards with your thumbs on top. I always tell kids to hold reins as if you have ice cream cones in both hands.

ErikaLynn 08-02-2011 10:50 AM

I agree with everyone's comments. Also I want to add that, you're on the wrong diagonal.

HorseLoverHunter 08-02-2011 11:16 AM

Thanks everyone! I didn't even notice I really did that with my hands. And ErikaLynn I didn't even notice that it was on the wrong diagonal. Usually I'm really good at staying on.

FoxyRoxy1507 08-02-2011 11:56 AM

along with what everyone else said you're also coming out of the saddle too much when posting, do not think of posting as an up and down, it is a forward thrust of your hips only so you really should not come out of the saddle all that much this will also help the weight go down your leg into your heel