The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Hawaii trail ride suggestions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/hawaii-trail-ride-suggestions-93812/)

Chiilaa 08-02-2011 04:46 AM

Hawaii trail ride suggestions?

So I am getting married in a few weeks, and for our honeymoon we are headed to Hawaii. One of the things I really want to do is go for a trail ride, preferable in western tack since we don't get much of that over here. Anyone been and know where a good place is?

Shasta1981 08-02-2011 08:09 AM

Jealous! I haven't been but have seen a few rides on equitrekking that look amazing! I would check out what they have done and see if they have shorter daily rides. Have a great time and congrats on the wedding!

Big island Horseback Riding Vacation - Equitrekking

Equilove 08-02-2011 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1121058)
So I am getting married in a few weeks, and for our honeymoon we are headed to Hawaii. One of the things I really want to do is go for a trail ride, preferable in western tack since we don't get much of that over here. Anyone been and know where a good place is?

Well well well! My dad lives in Hawaii. If you're going to the Big Island, look up Parker Ranch, Pudding Lassiter, and some chick named Kelly (probably not helpful... but if you figure out who she is, you can 'wrangle' horses!). Try Waipio Valley as well. I think Parker Ranch does rides through there, and you can see the Taro fields as well as the wild horses and ride through the fresh-water river. Pudding has AQHA show horses and might just give you "free" entertainment (help her feed the horses and goats and you can ride all day!).

I really wish I could remember Kelly's last name... for $90 (all together) three of us rode up in the hills and herded her 50 or so horses into a different pasture, and it was amazing. I have attached a photo from the adventure :D

sarahver 08-02-2011 09:43 AM

No suggestions sorry but just wanted to say..... CONGRATULATIONS!!! Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Equilove 08-02-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahver (Post 1121187)
No suggestions sorry but just wanted to say..... CONGRATULATIONS!!! Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Omg I totally forgot to mention a congratulations! Well...

CONGRATS!!! :D :D

Chiilaa 08-02-2011 09:47 AM

Cool thanks guys! We are staying on Oahu, we did want to go to at least one other island but still just figuring out everything that we want to do. It seems Big Island is where the ponehs is at though lol.

Equilove 08-02-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1121189)
Cool thanks guys! We are staying on Oahu, we did want to go to at least one other island but still just figuring out everything that we want to do. It seems Big Island is where the ponehs is at though lol.

Big Island is more horse-happy than Kentucky. They have stop-signs that say "WHOA!" haha. Parker Ranch has a LOT of land out there. The Paniolo (cowboy) is a big deal!

tinyliny 08-02-2011 02:38 PM

There are places to ride on all the islands. I haven't been to the Big Island, but have been to Kauaii and Maui. I rode on Kauii with a woman out in the sugar cane fields. We cantered all over the place on the red dirt roads. But, the big island is probably more horse friendly.

AS for beaches, well Kauaii has some awesome beaches and a lot fewer people than Maui.

IslandWave 08-02-2011 10:44 PM

I've done the Parker Ranch trail ride several times on the Big Island, one on Kauai, and the mule ride to Kalopapa on Molokai. But I've never ridden on Oahu so I can't reccomend a place there. Sorry! There will be plenty of brochures at the airport/hotel though. And congrats! :)