The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need a new saddle pad. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-new-saddle-pad-9386/)

melinda27858 05-26-2008 09:21 PM

Need a new saddle pad.

I need help finding a new saddle pad!

My saddle is a pretty decent fit, so a thicker pad is not needed.
I have tried another pad and found it to be to thick. This is what I had bought...
http://www.horse.com/Western-Tack/Sa...Pad-WIR29.html

What I have now is a cheap $20 non-slip pad...and the fit is great! I would just like to get a back up and would like a lighter blue color.

I don't have any tack stores around that carry an assortment of cheaper pads, and I hate looking online without knowing what the pad will look like once I get it. I was hoping that you all would have some suggestions for something you have had experience with.

melinda27858 05-27-2008 09:41 PM

OKAY! No replies, so let me ask you this question....

What do you prefer material-wise for your saddle pads and why???
I am wondering what the big differences are between the different materials and why....

HooverH 05-28-2008 01:32 AM

I generally use Horse.com for my online stuff. They have pretty good pictures and descriptions, and prices. Fast ship, too.

I use a simple imitation fleece. I had bought a cut back for Hoove, but he hated it, so my riding instructor gained a nice pad. :D Hoover had done well with one of my instructor's fleece, so it seemed natural to get him one. It's nice and soft, easy to clean, and the pile is deep enough the saddle sort of "nests" in it and doesn't scoot around much.

Rachluvshorses4eva 05-28-2008 03:55 AM

Well. I really think to me it looks like a good decent saddle pad. But if you don't like it, and don't think it's gonna work. Don't go with it. I love it and think that the blue would look really pretty!

Vidaloco 05-28-2008 04:44 AM

If your looking for something to just prettyfy your pad, I have an assortment of Navaho blankets I throw over my regular pad to look pretty. I use them if we are going to do a parade or something special. The thinner the better for just a decorative blanket.
Vida is very persnickety about what type of pad I use. I have a Skito pad that is fleece on the horse side. I've tried tacky and wool felt but she hated anything but her fluffy fleece. Again I just use it and throw a decortative rug over it for special occasions.

Oops forgot to say what the Skito is. it has foam (like memory foam) inserts and fleece back with some sort of tough material on the outside. I love this Pad because you can take the inserts out and wash it. I just throw it in the washing machine it comes out like new.

Abby 05-28-2008 09:55 AM

I've had people have their horses hair pulled out from tacky-too bottoms. If you are just going to be working on flat ground, go for it, but if you are going up an down a lot of hills, your horse may become agitated and/or injured.

melinda27858 05-28-2008 10:03 PM

Rach, it seems like a pretty good quality pad, I think it just may be a little too padded for my boy....he has dry spots when worked in that pad.
Abby, I have read many reviews about the tacky too not being comfortable for others horses. That kind of turns me away from getting one of those. Especially when considering the price.
How does one go about cleaning a pad with a fleece lining?
And Vida, I am going to check into the Skito pad, thanks for bringing it to my attention!!!

Does nobody prefer felt?

Annnnndd, the search goes on!