The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Can I still jump?? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/can-i-still-jump-93871/)

horsesaremylife 08-02-2011 05:26 PM

Can I still jump??

I'm helping a lady train three gaited Paso Fino yearlings, and one of them loves to jump, and I was wondering if I could still jump him. And if so, would I need to change anything?

ponyboy 08-02-2011 07:10 PM

Why are you training a yearling? And why is it jumping?

Deslumbrar 08-03-2011 01:21 AM

:shock: notsureifserious

horsesaremylife 08-03-2011 05:05 PM

We're going to start halter training, and he just likes to jump over little things for fun. We don't know his exact age though.

Hidalgo13 08-03-2011 05:29 PM

Doesn't matter if you don't know his exact age. You said he's a yearling so you know he's in between 1 and 2 years old. Please don't jump him (as in you're on his back riding him) until his 4.

horsesaremylife 08-03-2011 07:33 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I mean when he's old enough would I have to change anything in the way I jump him, since he is gaited. (Sorry if it's a no-briner question)

equiniphile 08-03-2011 07:38 PM

I have a Paso, and he absolutely loves to jump. I can't imagine jumping a yearling, though. Even small jumps is just too much for him.

Guilherme 08-03-2011 07:40 PM

I'm not sure that Paso Finos are the best conformed horses out there for jumping. I understand that some have real problems mastering the canter (which is a sine qua non for jumping).

Maybe it will work; maybe it will ruin the horse.

If it was me I'd not do it.

G.

equiniphile 08-03-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guilherme (Post 1123463)
I'm not sure that Paso Finos are the best conformed horses out there for jumping. I understand that some have real problems mastering the canter (which is a sine qua non for jumping).

G.

My Paso canters/gallops like any other horse, and still gaits. I've jumped him 2'9" with no problems also. Many horses do not have perfect jumping conformation, but still jump lower heights with ease.

trailhorserider 08-03-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guilherme (Post 1123463)

G.

First off I really, really respect your opinions on gaited horses, and I am new to gaited horses myself. But I was just wondering, how could jumping (an adult) Paso Fino ruin it? And do you feel the same about other gaited breeds such as TWH's and Foxtrotters?

I guess I am just wondering if you think it would "ruin" the horse physically or in relation to gaiting properly or what?

The only thing that would worry me with Pasos is that DSLD thing they can get, but I don't know it that's Peruvians or Finos (or both?) that are predisposed to that.