The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My poor pink skinned pony (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-poor-pink-skinned-pony-93884/)

QHDragon 08-02-2011 07:01 PM

My poor pink skinned pony

I just recently became the proud new owner of an ex-therapy horse that happens to have a lot of pink skin. When outside she is covered from nose to tail with a fly mask and fly sheet. Her old fly mask from her previous home has left the bridge of her nose, the top of her cheek bones, just under her eyes, and behind her ears rubbed raw. I bought her a cashel fly mask that has the fleece and softer material, but I can't imagine that her face feels too good, especially since I ride her in a figure eight and the bridle basically touches all those raw spots. Is there anything I can put on her face to make it heal up and the hair grow back?

natisha 08-02-2011 07:37 PM

Only time can heal that but not putting any tack on her would also be helpful & kind.

Endiku 08-02-2011 08:11 PM

There isn't much that can help her heal faster, but as stated- not riding her for a while is probably the best idea. You can also put A&D on the raw spots.

aspin231 08-02-2011 09:07 PM

Give the wounds time to heal to start. Can you keep her in during the day and out at night so she doesn't need the flysheet?
If you want to ride, why not just go without a noseband until the raw spots are better?

QHDragon 08-02-2011 11:00 PM

Where she is boarded right now I can't keep her in during the day. :( She will be getting at least a week off due to my work schedule so hopefully that will help!

westerncowgurl 08-02-2011 11:19 PM

i have a pink skinned horse too sometimes he gets little rubbs on his face fron the fly mask i just put zinc on the areas and then put the fly mask on really loose until the hair grows back but he never really gets big bald spots

aspin231 08-03-2011 12:35 AM

Can you maybe pay extra or do the turn in/out yourself? I really think that not having to wear the flymask would be the best option, and a healing cream of some sort.

QHDragon 08-05-2011 04:12 PM

Tried to give her a day off yesterday from her fly mask and sheet because it was overcast all day, and came out today to find a red pony. :(

The BO where I am right now won't keep her in during the day, end of story there.

MsKibibi 08-05-2011 04:52 PM

One suggestion I have to help prevent future sunburn, is to treat her fly mask and sheet with an SPF laundry additive. There is a product called SunGard https://sunguardsunprotection.com/ that gives regular clothing a UPF 30 protection. I use it with all my clothes because I hate tan lines. Perhaps it would help with the fly mask and sheet.

(I don't own a horse yet and am new to the horse world, so if this suggestion is completely useless/irrelevant/inapplicable, then please pardon my ignorance)